Soundings Article on Ethanol

Use this forum to post or reply to topics related to safety or insurance like rates, training courses, safety procedures, etc.
BECCA ROSE
Commodore
Commodore

Soundings Article on Ethanol

Post by BECCA ROSE »

Good article, points out all the shortfalls of ethanol and how it makes absolutely no sense to have it in our fuels. Other than to subsidize big argo-businesses, farmers, and to let the automakers pull the wool over our eyes in relation to producing fuel efficient cars. Of course they say if you own a boat with fiberglass tanks your screwed.[:D] Bill 33 FBC Ipswich, Ma. [img]http://www.bertram33.com/photogallery/p ... a_Rose.jpg[/img]
Bill 1989 33 FBC Cummins 6BTA's ><)))))*> ~------- Image
dougl33
Admiral
Admiral

Post by dougl33 »

Yes, I read that one as well. Yet again we are presented with an article that offers little or no insight to what actually is causing the problem or why some boats have had issues and others have not. Its only a matter of time before insurance companies drop all gas powered bertrams and banks stop loaning money to buy them. I hope this gets resolved before the values plunge out of sight. Regards, Doug L. 1986 33 Bertram FBC Queen Elizabeth Marblehead, MA [img]http://www.bertram33.com/photogallery/p ... sabeth.jpg[/img]
Regards, Doug L.
1986 33 Bertram FBC Cummins 6BTA's Queen Elizabeth
Marblehead, MA
BECCA ROSE
Commodore
Commodore

Post by BECCA ROSE »

I still think most fuel tank problems are happening to extremely old fiberglass fuel tanks that were already compromised. The only reason all these problems are popping up now is due to inspections being done because of ethanol fears. Those tanks were out of sight, out of mind. No one can prove that a fuel tank with 10% ethanol in it is going to eat a fuel tank away in one summer. With the limited supply of ethanol I bet we have had non-ethanol in our fuel tanks at least a third of the time this summer and we didn't even know it. Bill 33 FBC Ipswich, Ma. [img]http://www.bertram33.com/photogallery/p ... a_Rose.jpg[/img]
Bill 1989 33 FBC Cummins 6BTA's ><)))))*> ~------- Image
franklyprice
Commodore
Commodore

Post by franklyprice »

Bill, I think you are right on all counts.
Frank Price
1987 SF "Jeanne Claire"
Rowley Ma
sbeer
Captain
Captain

Post by sbeer »

The other thought is how much is related to the tank or the fact that the fuel is super cleaning the whole fuel system. Once the system is clean with the 10 percent how long will it be before you actually see tank related issues. Mike
Mike Lawrence 81 sportfish 33' shot'n'beer Image
franklyprice
Commodore
Commodore

Post by franklyprice »

Mike, I guess that's the point. What I am coming to the conclusion of, and if I might speak for Bill, I think he is saying also, is that these tanks may have a thirty year life span(give or take) and the ethanol is loosening the gunk that has been setting there all along holding the deteriorating tank together. It's crazy to think that the ethanol has perforated these tanks in one season when OUR tanks look as good as new running the same stuff. Add to that the fact that some guys with older boats are seeing failures (now that they are looking) BEFORE THEY EVEN START USING THE ETHANOL FUEL. Also some diesel tanks are failing on older boats. If it wasn't for the ethanol, we'd all go on our way , fat dumb and happy with our tanks failing and not even knowing it because the goo is holding it together, thinking we have a lifetime gas tank. It turns out , a lifetime in the old days when these boats were built was only about ten years, maybe twenty. We're living on borrowed time. Remeber the days when a five year old car was old? Wasn't worth much of anything? Today a five year old car is like a new one almost. Everything is lasting longer, well almost everything.. I'm sure no-one thought of it at the time but it must be a shock to them, to see these boats around thirty, forty years later, and more. When these first gas tanks were made, fiberglas hadn't existed for more than about TEN YEARS! How would anyone know how long they would last? Well now we're finding out. After thirty years, you're on borrowed time.
Frank Price
1987 SF "Jeanne Claire"
Rowley Ma
photo finish
Commodore
Commodore

Post by photo finish »

I am not ready to give up on our tanks yet.As Frank just stated ,When these boats were made they did not know how good fiberglass was so that is why our hulls are so thick and durable and heavy. I would assume that our fuel tanks would hold true to the over built quality.When i had my cockpit floor off the tank was solid and sound and when i siphoned fuel from the bottom of the tank it was clean as a whistle.So in a non ethanol situation I could see our tanks lasting another 20 years. The question is, will ethanol change all that in our boats with good clean fuel tanks.I have yet to see any solid proof in all that i have read to this point that 10% ethanol will do any damage at all in my tank .I think it will be our responsibility to check our tanks prior to the ethanol infestation.Of course i speak for those of us who have not been infested with the Ethanol bug yet.We also are the ones who will be getting the benefit of you test rats up there in ethanol city.
Tim Stamm Photo Finish 1981 33' Bertram FBC Image
Capt. Ed
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Capt. Ed »

Well said Tim! 1979 Bertram 33' FBC ALEXANDRA Port Richey, Florida [img]http://www.bertram33.com/photogallery/p ... xandra.jpg[/img] HAVE YOU SIGNED UP FOR BERTRAM PRIDE '06 yet? DO IT NOW... SPACE IS LIMITED!
1979 Bertram 33' FBC ALEXANDRA Port Richey, Florida Image BERTRAM PRIDE '07 PLAN TO ATTEND!
Sean B
Captain
Captain

Post by Sean B »

Hmm....the "Test Rats from Ethanol City." A new nickname for the NE Bertram contingency? Sean Burlingham "Island Time" 1987 Bertram 33 SF Melbourne, FL SBurlingham@cfl.rr.com [img]http://www.bertram33.com/photogallery/p ... d_Time.jpg[/img]
"Island Time" 1987 Bertram 33 SF 3208T Cats
sbeer
Captain
Captain

Post by sbeer »

There is another question that needs to be answered, is the ethanol effecting the tanks while suspended or when it mixes with water and seperates to the bottom of the tank. I would think that if it is maintained in a suspended form the only thing it could do would be to assist in cleaning the tank like gas already does. Mike
Mike Lawrence 81 sportfish 33' shot'n'beer Image
photo finish
Commodore
Commodore

Post by photo finish »

Excellent idea Mike , Since you "Test Rats from Ethanol City." have to dry dock soon maybe Frank can fill his boat full of E10 Doug can fill his full of E85 And Mike can drain hfis fuel tank empty and we can see which engines survive next season.Oh and Bill can fill his with E10 and put it on the travel lift once a week and give it a good shaking....lol
Tim Stamm Photo Finish 1981 33' Bertram FBC Image
dougl33
Admiral
Admiral

Post by dougl33 »

Mike, That's been my question all along. If there's no water in the tank then phase separation cannot occur. Is it the separation (which would give you a big slug of water and alcohol at the bottom of the tank and a load of crappy fuel on top) that's causing the issue or just the presence of the alcohol in the non separated ethanol? None of the articles and stories ever seem to answer or even ask that question. Regards, Doug L. 1986 33 Bertram FBC Queen Elizabeth Marblehead, MA [img]http://www.bertram33.com/photogallery/p ... sabeth.jpg[/img]
Regards, Doug L.
1986 33 Bertram FBC Cummins 6BTA's Queen Elizabeth
Marblehead, MA
Capt. Ed
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Capt. Ed »

Problem is that Ethanol by nature will retain 5% water just from the air. 1979 Bertram 33' FBC ALEXANDRA Port Richey, Florida [img]http://www.bertram33.com/photogallery/p ... xandra.jpg[/img] HAVE YOU SIGNED UP FOR BERTRAM PRIDE '06 yet? DO IT NOW... SPACE IS LIMITED!
1979 Bertram 33' FBC ALEXANDRA Port Richey, Florida Image BERTRAM PRIDE '07 PLAN TO ATTEND!