Touching base

Use this forum to discuss all things generally relating to Bertram 33s.
Capn Tony
Captain
Captain

Touching base

Post by Capn Tony »

Hi All,
Just checking to see if folks are still logging in. Hope everyone had a great summer. For those of us up north let’s put a good finish on the season
Thanks Capn' T Roamin' Beauty 33'Bert SF 3116 Cats Hyannis MA.
retman
Commander
Commander

Re: Touching base

Post by retman »

Tony, check it all the time. Wish I could use the boat as much. Just replaced the starboard elbows. One was Kaput the other didn't look too bad. But they were overdue and I can't pin down when I did them previously. Sometime between 2008 and 2016 which is way, way overdue. Will do the port side after haul out as they were done in 2016 with the manifolds, full exhaust and coolers. Will skip the ceramic coated ones as that is only the exterior paint and does not coat the inside from what I can tell. Best upgrade this year was a black mesh windshield sun shade and a cockpit sun shade/fly. Keeping the dermatologist at bay.
Bill Arnold 1988 33 FBC Merc 454 'Retriever' SOLD
37 DUFFY. Extended House 3126 Cat.
lobsta1
Commodore
Commodore

Post by lobsta1 »

Bill, don't know about current generation of ceramic coatings, but when Merc 1st came out with them, there were problems with longevity. It seems the different expansion rates between ceramic & cast iron was causing cracks in the coating. In our environment salt would get caught in the cracks & cause accelerated corrosion.

Do you mind me asking approximate cost & where did you get it. Do you know if your guy would come to the north shore
Thanks
Al
1978 33 FBC NITES OFF
retman
Commander
Commander

Post by retman »

Al. don't mind at all. I sourced them from Marine Engine Parts.com. (lighthouse marine) on Long Island. 250.00 each for the ceramic coated. From what I could see the coating did not get up into the water jacket much. More like over spray. It looked just like grey iron in the water passages. Super shiny on the exterior. I think the coating is more to keep the exterior looking good. I may be full of it too. I did the work myself(Boat Yoga). Since I redid the exhaust in 2016 to get rid of the rotten cast iron elbows and y's, I had replaced the 4" stiff hose with Vetus flexible hose. Much easier to work with and you can slide it right on after replacing the elbows. Ran it last night and no more steam than the other side and engine temp back to normal.
dougl33
Admiral
Admiral

Post by dougl33 »

Bill,

Can you shoot me a text with pics pf your cockpit sunshade? That's on my list for next year.
Regards, Doug L.
1986 33 Bertram FBC Cummins 6BTA's Queen Elizabeth
Marblehead, MA
Rick
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Rick »

Hello to all,

Hope you guys had a great Summer. Our first one without the Bertram, we still have a bit of sellers remorse but we're liking where we are. It's been a huge learning experience with the Tiara. I hate not knowing the boat the boat like I did the Bertram but enjoy cruising with the crew at the helm. Miss you guys and hope you're running smooth. I'll be coming out of the water on the 15th and have no clue how to winterize this thing but will figure it out eventually !
Rick
Ticket 85 SF Merc 454 MPI's USCG 50T Masters w/ Towing Endorsement
Falmouth, MA
h2ojst
Captain
Captain

Post by h2ojst »

Hey Rick,
Had a great Summer.......of course only used the Bert maybe 6 times. Always fun though. Glad you are enjoying the Tiara layout. Door is always open down here if you want to get away from the really cold. I keep 2 auto bilge heaters going in the salon & engine compartment for Jan & Feb, but other than that, I don't do a thing. Take care.
Joe Tomaini
1988 Sportfish
Attitude Adjustment II
Bath, NC
Capn Tony
Captain
Captain

Post by Capn Tony »

It was a good season for us. We didn’t get out as often as we wanted at the end due to lack of help at the restaurants, but hey every year is different. I stay in the water thru the winter plugged in and an engine compartment heater running in the cold months. been lucky for the last years Hyannis harbor has not really frozen. Oil and filters changed in both engines, genny oil and filters done and genny pickled, fresh water winterized. I’ll pickle the a/c and engines after I’m shrink wrapped and moved to my winter slip. The one trip I had planned at the end of the season was Hyannis to Boston for a few days but it’ll have to wait ‘til next year
dougl33
Admiral
Admiral

Post by dougl33 »

It was a bit of a cluster fuck season for me.

I wound up the 2020 season knowing that I'd need a new head gasket on the stbd engine. I thought I had it worked out with my mechanic to have the work done over the winter, but for a variety of reasons that did not wind up happening.

I had to start scrambling around for a new mechanic in mid-May and was lucky enough to have someone get back to me towards the end of June. I was fully prepared to keep the boat out of the water until I could get the head gasket done, but the new mechanic was able to get the job done by the end of the month and I think I launched on July 1.

For those of you in the NE, July was dogshit. It only rained twice, but it was for 10 straight days, and then 15 straight days! :roll:

August was pretty good, but I had a wedding to attend in Nantucket in September and wound up renting a house down there with my in-laws for a week.

I wanted to pull the boat in early October (I pulled everything off the boat and winterized everything but the engines), but there's a problem with the travel lift at PCYC and it won't be ready until the end of November. I made the decision this past weekend to haul elsewhere for the season and moved the boat up the Danvers river yesterday.

Can't wait for it to be out so I can hit the re-set button for 2022.
Regards, Doug L.
1986 33 Bertram FBC Cummins 6BTA's Queen Elizabeth
Marblehead, MA
Capn Tony
Captain
Captain

Post by Capn Tony »

Here’s hoping for a solid 2022 season for all
mouldrp
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by mouldrp »

It’s been pretty quite on the sight lately, thought I’d add my ramblings.

After a fairly good boating season, weather wise, I’m in the process of putting the old girl to sleep.

Winterized the generator, freshwater and head last weekend. Going down to run the “pink stuff” through the engines as soon as the rain, here in Greenwich CT, stops. I had already did oil and filters several weeks ago.

Next step is to schedule for the shrink rap. I’ve already put up the ridge pole myself, Being really fussy about how well constructed and installed it is. I save the frame year-to-year.

The boat stays in the water for the winter, as does several of my boating buddies, so late Wednesday afternoons we get together to throw the bull, and maybe have a cocktail or two. On Sunday, around noon, it’s Bloody Mary’s. You’d think we drink a lot, but not really!

This is our way of extending or boating through the winter without leaving the dock.

Anyway, that’s my ramblings. Hope you all have safe and happy holidays during the off season!
Richard Mould 1988 FBC - Sheer Folly Greenwich, CT
Capn Tony
Captain
Captain

Post by Capn Tony »

As I mentioned in my post I stay in the water too. That’s the best place for a boat, no racking on haul out or while sitting on stands.
mouldrp
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by mouldrp »

Tony, you got that right, my brother is a shipwright. He pulled me out of retirement 17 years ago to help him out three days a week.

We work on a lot of boats “on the hard” and I can’t tell you how many have transom doors that don’t open, or close, and cabin doors that get stuck due racking during layup.

Some of the jobs we get requires us to tell the customer that’s best to be done in the water.

Many of these boats are in the multi million dollar range even.
Richard Mould 1988 FBC - Sheer Folly Greenwich, CT
Capn Tony
Captain
Captain

Post by Capn Tony »

When I do come out every third year to do the bottom and check running gear I re-check alignment when she goes back in.
retman
Commander
Commander

Post by retman »

Nice to not climb a ladder to get on the boat with it in the water. But here in Mass. with the Cruel North Atlantic ocean a stones throw away, staying in the water is not a option. Insurance on our boat won't allow it. And given what happened a few weeks ago with gusts well over 100 mph in places it's not worth staying in. It helps getting a good nights sleep. I know I did a good job on the wrap as its still there. (Faces NE!) Just the usual maintenance this year. This boat is like the energizer bunny.