New 33 FBC Owner

Use this forum to discuss all things relating to the Bertram 33 Convertible.
Upstream
Ensign
Ensign

New 33 FBC Owner

Post by Upstream »

Hi, New 33 FBC owner here. Thanks to this site I was able to speak with one of the previous owners that had the boat for over 25 years.
I'm sure I'll have some questions and comments in the future but for now I'm just exploring and getting used to the boat.
BTW it's gas powered Merc 454's with original 1600 hours. I'm sure I'll be looking at a re-power in the future but for now it runs smooth and strong, and was very well maintained.
dougl33
Admiral
Admiral

Re: New 33 FBC Owner

Post by dougl33 »

Welcome aboard Cap! Tell us a little about the boat (year) and where you'll be running it.
Regards, Doug L.
1986 33 Bertram FBC Cummins 6BTA's Queen Elizabeth
Marblehead, MA
Upstream
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Upstream »

Hi Doug,sorry for the delay in posting but I've between work and the boat, very little extra time.
It's an 88 with the second stateroom on the starboard side. We are in the upper Chesapeake Bay just south of Baltimore. I'm planning to run it down the C&D canal to fish the blue water at least for a month or two a year. I just hope the gas prices stay low because she is a thirsty girl.
We've taken a few trips across the bay , put about 70 miles on it and everything has been great so far.
The fuel tank was replaced with 280 aluminum tank, generator is a 2005 Kohler 7.2
Trying to get some pictures up but need to work on that for a while.
dougl33
Admiral
Admiral

Post by dougl33 »

Good for you!

We'll be passing your way mid August while we deliver another 33 from Mass to Florida.
Regards, Doug L.
1986 33 Bertram FBC Cummins 6BTA's Queen Elizabeth
Marblehead, MA
Upstream
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Upstream »

If all goes well, we'll be at Indian River Inlet the 21st and 22nd then on to OC, MD from the 23-29th, I'll keep an eye out for you.
retman
Commander
Commander

Post by retman »

Great to see new owners chiming in. I bought mine 13 years ago and have been very happy with it. Lots of knowledge here. Good luck with the new boat!
Bill Arnold 1988 33 FBC Merc 454 'Retriever' SOLD
37 DUFFY. Extended House 3126 Cat.
browny0386
Ensign
Ensign

Post by browny0386 »

Upstream wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2020 3:58 pm Hi, New 33 FBC owner here. Thanks to this site I was able to speak with one of the previous owners that had the boat for over 25 years.
I'm sure I'll have some questions and comments in the future but for now I'm just exploring and getting used to the boat.
BTW it's gas powered Merc 454's with original 1600 hours. I'm sure I'll be looking at a re-power in the future but for now it runs smooth and strong, and was very well maintained.
Curious on what your fuel burn numbers are on the higher hour mercs? I’ve really been looking at diesels but there are a few somewhat local 33 FBC with merc 7.4s, with similar hours.

I’ve been gun shy are big old gas carb motors as I feel they’ll drink they savings away relatively quick. That and getting close to rebuild time. I’ve spoken to a few guys at the marine with several thousand hours on gas big blocks and have put my mind at ease a bit.

Congrats on new boat!
Camano Mike
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Camano Mike »

I've got approximately 1950 hours on my 1987 mercs and they still run about 32 gallons an hour at 2900 to 3000 rpm. I've put 400 of the hours on them myself. Cheers to the new boat!
Upstream
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Upstream »

Unfortunately my port engine is burning Zero gallons per hour right now because I'm not getting any gas from to tank to the carburetor. Replaced fuel pump and filter but still no go.
Will update when I find the culprit.
Upstream
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Upstream »

Just to add, we did have two good trips through the C&D canal and offshore to the canyons the last couple of years, burned a @$^T ton of gas.
h2ojst
Captain
Captain

Post by h2ojst »

You may want to check the anti-syphon valves that are located on the large tank fitting under the tank deck hatch. If that's stuck closed, you will not get any fuel. It's really the only thing between the tank and the filter or fuel pump. They are a simple, spring & ball check valve.
Joe Tomaini
1988 Sportfish
Attitude Adjustment II
Bath, NC
Upstream
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Upstream »

h2ojst wrote: Mon May 02, 2022 5:17 am You may want to check the anti-syphon valves that are located on the large tank fitting under the tank deck hatch. If that's stuck closed, you will not get any fuel. It's really the only thing between the tank and the filter or fuel pump. They are a simple, spring & ball check valve.
Hi, thanks for the input, that makes sense that it could be in that valve as it looks like both engines pull fuel from the same tube. There are two shut-off valves there on that large tank fitting. Is the check valve built into them? It does have a separate tube and valve for the generator.

I had the same problem last year. Then I replaced the fuel pump and went on to go over 600 miles without any problems. Now that it's happening again I doubt that a mechanical fuel pump failed in one year.
Upstream
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Upstream »

Upstream wrote: Wed May 04, 2022 7:29 am
h2ojst wrote: Mon May 02, 2022 5:17 am You may want to check the anti-syphon valves that are located on the large tank fitting under the tank deck hatch. If that's stuck closed, you will not get any fuel. It's really the only thing between the tank and the filter or fuel pump. They are a simple, spring & ball check valve.
Hi, thanks for the input, that makes sense that it could be in that valve as it looks like both engines pull fuel from the same tube. There are two shut-off valves there on that large tank fitting. Is the check valve built into them? It does have a separate tube and valve for the generator.

I had the same problem last year. Then I replaced the fuel pump and went on to go over 600 miles without any problems. Now that it's happening again I doubt that a mechanical fuel pump failed in one year. Plus it ran okay with an aux tank hooked-up to the fuel pump.
h2ojst
Captain
Captain

Post by h2ojst »

My best guess is the anti-syphon is in front of the shut-off, ball valves. Mine did not have those.
Joe Tomaini
1988 Sportfish
Attitude Adjustment II
Bath, NC
retman
Commander
Commander

Post by retman »

I don't see a anti syphon valve. The fitting between the valve and line may be an adapter. I did have this issue on a previous boat on the generator fuel line. Try filling the filter with fuel. Also had one fuel pump last only a season but it had been on the shelf forever at the marina and was pre-ethanol.
Bill Arnold 1988 33 FBC Merc 454 'Retriever' SOLD
37 DUFFY. Extended House 3126 Cat.