Replacement of Waste Pump mounting platform

Use this forum to discuss all things relating to the Bertram 33 Convertible.
Kurt B
Ensign
Ensign

Replacement of Waste Pump mounting platform

Post by Kurt B »

I need to replace the shelf the waste pump is (should be) mounted on. The waste pump was just relying on the input and output piping to hold it in place. Yes, it was leaking in the past, hence stench in the bilge and a semi rotted platform. Connection were tightened bilge washed, disfected and cleaned up. What a difference!

However, the old platform was screwed through the sides of the stringers. The stringers are strong, not soft, and as luck would have it it was only the top of the mounting shelf that was in poor condition.

What do I do about the holes in the stringers from the screws mounting the platform? Clean them up and fill with Epoxy?

When I mount the new platform, I will have to screw into the stringers. How should I seal those screws to ensure no moisture penetrates? What product should I use?

Thanks in advance,

Kurt B
1987 Bertram FBC, Twin 454s
Viognier Voyager
Urbanna, VA
lobsta1
Commodore
Commodore

Re: Replacement of Waste Pump mounting platform

Post by lobsta1 »

Kurt,
you could pour alcohol or acetone in the holes to dry out any moisture. Then fill them with epoxy. Does the pump HAVE to go back in the same location? If it does you could also just galss in a new shelf. My boat is considerably older & has a much different layout than yours so I can't offer any specific advice.

If you have not replaced the hoses run a warm wet cloth over them & then give the cloth a sniff test. That will tell you if the hoses are old & need replacing. I'm (assuming) your pump out comes from the bottom of the tank(shitty design) & not from a dip tube at the top of the tank. If so, I would strongly recommend that you figure out a way to put in a shut off valve between the tank & the pump. That will make future maintenance much easier.
Good luck
Al
1978 33 FBC NITES OFF