33 FBC dual helms

Use this forum to discuss all things relating to the Bertram 33 Convertible.
Scott K

33 FBC dual helms

Post by Scott K »

Glad I found this site. I am not a bertram owner. However, I am growing more & more interested in them. Specifically, the 33 FBC. I have read quite a bit about these boats and have looked at many for sale online. I believe I read somewhere that they had a second helm as an option. I assume that would be in the salon. I have not seen any FBC's with an interior helm. So,my questions are does anyone know if FBC's were made with a second helm? Would it be possible to install a second helm? Thanks in advance, Scott
franklyprice
Commodore
Commodore

Post by franklyprice »

Hi Scott, You won't be disappointed with the Bertram. I still haven't seen a 33 that is engineered or put together as well as these. The lower helm was an option and I've seen a couple, on the earlier ones from the late '70's .There could be some later ones but I've never heard of or seen a picture of one that I can recall. Adding the lower helm would not be easy but could be done. You'd have to figure out how to tap into the hydraulic steering and of course the shift and throttle cables would have to be run also and I suppose another set of gauges would be needed , then you get into how to split the signal from the multiple senders etc. It really comes down to your abilities and motivation .
Frank Price
1987 SF "Jeanne Claire"
Rowley Ma
dougl33
Admiral
Admiral

Post by dougl33 »

And wallet!
Regards, Doug L.
1986 33 Bertram FBC Cummins 6BTA's Queen Elizabeth
Marblehead, MA
lobsta1
Commodore
Commodore

Post by lobsta1 »

I have the lower helm & its only use is for working on the engines. Other than that, it is a space waster & introduces new points of failure. Al
1978 33 FBC NITES OFF
Capn Tony
Captain
Captain

Post by Capn Tony »

As Doug says you won’t be disappointed in a Bertram 33. I’ve been in a couple of 25 Berts with second station and the lower station is not useful while under way. I have to think the 33 second station would be the same.
Thanks Capn' T Roamin' Beauty 33'Bert SF 3116 Cats Hyannis MA.
dougl33
Admiral
Admiral

Post by dougl33 »

The only folks that I know that have them (Ron and Al) only use the lower station when working on the engines and not underway.
Regards, Doug L.
1986 33 Bertram FBC Cummins 6BTA's Queen Elizabeth
Marblehead, MA
RJC2628
Commander
Commander

Post by RJC2628 »

I agree, mostly useless. I've even disconnected the clutch cables from the salon station to reduce the extra friction. In have a set of cockpit clutches, much more useful when docking or picking up a mooring alone.
Ron Callahan
SCOUT 1980 Convertible
Boston, MA