bert. 33 survey

Use this forum to discuss all things relating to the Bertram 33 Convertible.
kenmun

bert. 33 survey

Post by kenmun »

buying 33 fb cruiser. what should surveyor look for? thanks, ken mun
dougl33
Admiral
Admiral

Post by dougl33 »

Other than the basic things all surveyors should look at with all boats (engines, electrical, AC and H20 systems, etc...), I would say: Rot in the coring in both the cockpit and cockpit hatches. Rot in the aft bulkhead. That the velocijet exhausts (look like mail slots) are still attached to the inside of the hull on gas boats. That the cockpit cleats are still bonded to the inside of the hull. As far as the exhaust and cleats go, even if they're both still attached, if they look original, I would plan on addressing them as its a matter of when and not if they will fail. That's all I can think of off the top of my head that I've seen on just about every FBC or 33 in general. What can you tell us about the boat (year, engines, etc...). Good luck.
Regards, Doug L.
1986 33 Bertram FBC Cummins 6BTA's Queen Elizabeth
Marblehead, MA
davem251
Ensign
Ensign

Post by davem251 »

I would like to keep this thread going. I am actually having one surveyed Monday 2/25/19. My target is an 86 with much newer Crusader 8.1’s, wife said no diesels. Back deck has been done, fuel tank is new, head is new, she certainly has cosmetic issues but I think that she will shine up nice. Oh and I know that I am doing the bulkhead/cockpit panels. What else?
h2ojst
Captain
Captain

Post by h2ojst »

I'd add rudder shelves,top bearings and steering ram to Doug's list along with the obvious compression check on the engines. (Newer or not)You will most likely need a Crusader dealer to do this for you but well worth the money in my opinion.
Joe Tomaini
1988 Sportfish
Attitude Adjustment II
Bath, NC
davem251
Ensign
Ensign

Post by davem251 »

Good feedback, keep it coming...I am having a compression check done and the tech will pull the computer printouts!
davem251
Ensign
Ensign

Post by davem251 »

Good feedback, keep it coming...I am having a compression check done and the tech will pull the computer printouts!
dougl33
Admiral
Admiral

Post by dougl33 »

Dave, I could not disagree more with your wife, but then again, I don't have to live with her. Where's the boat? There's a good chance it was probably owned by someone here at some point.
Regards, Doug L.
1986 33 Bertram FBC Cummins 6BTA's Queen Elizabeth
Marblehead, MA
davem251
Ensign
Ensign

Post by davem251 »

Diesel exhaust, just never agreed with her! The boat is in VA and I actually found the owner here. Nice guy, just needs to get out of boating for a variety of reasons. Had to delay the survey for a week, way too windy. Keep the ideas coming!
Capn Tony
Captain
Captain

Post by Capn Tony »

Diesel Diesel Diesel
Thanks Capn' T Roamin' Beauty 33'Bert SF 3116 Cats Hyannis MA.