whole house generator

Use this forum to discuss anything that doesn't nicely fit into any of the other catagories.
buzzk
Captain
Captain

whole house generator

Post by buzzk »

I'm thinking about putting a 20-22 kw generator in my house. I'm looking at a Kohler and a Generac. Have any of you had any experience with either one?
buzzk 1988 Bertram 33 FBC Cummins 6BTA's Buzz Off Morehead City, NC
Rick
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Rick »

I don't have one Buzz but we're in the market too. Probably only around 12kW. Looks like they're pretty comparable in performance, so price and convenience will probably be the deciding factors. Are you going with Natural gas ? Rick Ticket 85 SF Merc 454 MPI's Falmouth, MA
Rick
Ticket 85 SF Merc 454 MPI's USCG 50T Masters w/ Towing Endorsement
Falmouth, MA
h2ojst
Captain
Captain

Post by h2ojst »

Maybe we can make a deal on 2, Buzz? I'm looking at both of those units as well & I think I'm leaning towards the Kohler because of the service & sales is right where you're at in Morehead. R & T Marine and Equipment is a great dealer & seem like very nice people. I need a propane unit. No Natural gas here & I've already got a 500# tank in the ground.
Joe Tomaini
1988 Sportfish
Attitude Adjustment II
Bath, NC
buzzk
Captain
Captain

Post by buzzk »

Joe, I went with R&T yesterday. Rick,unfortunately natural gas isn't available in my neighborhood. I already have a 250 gallon LP tank that I only use for the pool heater and gas logs. I think I'm going to add an additional 100 gallon tank. The prices of the generators was very close but I felt more comfortable with Tim. That's why I went with them. Joe, are going with a 20 Kw too? In the past after the storm moved on I would back feed my panel and with a portable generator. At night we would sleep on the boat for a/c. We have Bahama Hurricane Shutters on our house and hurricane panels on our sunroom. We're going to change the panels on the sunroom over to electric shutters. I'm tired of dealing with portable generators and putting up storm panels. The Bahama Shutters are not a problem but the panels are so much work that it was always a waiting game do I put them up or leave them down. Hopefully by next hurricane season I'll be able to just push a button. For a major storm it would take us a couple of days to secure our house and boats.
h2ojst
Captain
Captain

Post by h2ojst »

Yes, I think the 20 will be sufficient to run most everything except the big 220 stuff like my ovens. I have propane heat pumps, gas logs & water heater. I've been talking to Tim's son, Ray. Small world! I have way too many windows & doors to deal with as far as shutters go but I'm also a good 50 miles inland of you & the coast.
Joe Tomaini
1988 Sportfish
Attitude Adjustment II
Bath, NC
buzzk
Captain
Captain

Post by buzzk »

They installed my generator last week and the electrician and gas company are hooking everything up in the morning. The next step is installing electric storm shutters on 17 windows. I'm trying to make preparing for hurricanes as easy as possible.