Fuel Tank Replacement

Use this forum to discuss all things relating to the Bertram 33 Convertible.
Rick
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Rick »

Joe - No prob, I know that you know ! There's actually quite a few guys here that I'd trust to go there and evaluate, you seemed closer than the rest of us. Maybe Capt'n Gene is closer yet, I'm not sure. The thing is that anyone of us know the boat well enough and could be a huge help here in getting him going. Once Gary owns it for a few years, he'll be there too. Bill: I'm thinking fuel fill hose too or rotted gasket on the sender. My fill hose looked really bad when I changed it out so if I bought another B33, that's one of the first things I'd inspect/change. Rick Ticket 85 SF Merc 454 MPI's Falmouth, MA
Rick
Ticket 85 SF Merc 454 MPI's USCG 50T Masters w/ Towing Endorsement
Falmouth, MA
retman
Commander
Commander

Post by retman »

Gary, It would be interesting to see what lies under that layer of crud. The suggestion of a case of fuel filters comes to mind. Is there a good quality filter ahead of the generator carb? Try and get a image of the underside of the top of the tank. Did the surveyor check the fuel fill hose? Mine did and it looks like the previous owner changed it. Bill? I have had absolutely no fuel related issues to date. I even dump out the filters when changing and there is no sign of anything odd.
Bill Arnold 1988 33 FBC Merc 454 'Retriever' SOLD
37 DUFFY. Extended House 3126 Cat.
dougl33
Admiral
Admiral

Post by dougl33 »

And that tanks had ethanol in it since the 2006 season. That's 5 seasons. Knock on wood.
Regards, Doug L.
1986 33 Bertram FBC Cummins 6BTA's Queen Elizabeth
Marblehead, MA
retman
Commander
Commander

Post by retman »

I do. It's been a northern boat since ethanol arrived. I'm not sure if the lower temps slow down any potential degradation. I have a 84' 28 at my boatyard and he's had no issues that I know of.
Bill Arnold 1988 33 FBC Merc 454 'Retriever' SOLD
37 DUFFY. Extended House 3126 Cat.
kohna
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by kohna »

I got a report on the tank pressure test today and it failed. I am having the boat moved to a home with a dock that is much cheaper then the marina and they will allow work to be done there. They capped all the lines, new gaskets on the sending unit and pumped it up to 4 PSI and soap tested them and it appears the tank is leaking somewhere. They will pull the cockpit deck off and look for a leak when they get it out to slip where they can perform the work. Possibly the existing tank maybe repaired if the spot is accessible. Joe or Bill - Do you have a feel what the cost of a new aluminum tank and labor should run in that area?
<hr noshade size="1"> <div align="left">Gary Marsh Kil' N Time 1988 Bertram 33 FBC 7.4 L. Mercruiser's Kemah, Texas http://www.kwshosting.com</div id="left"> [img=left]http://www.aspe-houston.com/Bertram/boat_front.jpg [/img=left]
h2ojst
Captain
Captain

Post by h2ojst »

I'm still using my glass tank, so I haven't looked into replacement cost, sorry. Very curious to see where the tank is leaking though. I'll be out of town until Monday the 25th. I'm still happy to assist if needed next week. Joe Tomaini 1988 Sportfish Attitude Adjustment II Fort Lauderdale, FL
Joe Tomaini
1988 Sportfish
Attitude Adjustment II
Bath, NC
kohna
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by kohna »

Thanks Joe. I have a question for you knowledgeable boatman. I had my fuel removed from the boat using Yachting Bliss in Pompano Beach/Ft. Lauderdale area as my agent since my project manager was out of town. I have requested many times they give me the name of the company that removed the fuel and they are ignoring me. I would believe that I am liable for the fuel since it was removed from my boat and I am hoping to recover the fuel once my tank is fixed. What are your thoughts on them not giving me the company name or phone number. I feel they have ripped me for the charges they have done @$85.00/hr (18 hours)looking after my boat removing it from the marina and sopping up gas while I was out of town and lining up the pump out. I now have my PM that is in control of the boat and he has been extremely fair with me since I bought the boat and would have no problems recommending him to anyone in the area. Your thoughts......
<hr noshade size="1"> <div align="left">Gary Marsh Kil' N Time 1988 Bertram 33 FBC 7.4 L. Mercruiser's Kemah, Texas http://www.kwshosting.com</div id="left"> [img=left]http://www.aspe-houston.com/Bertram/boat_front.jpg [/img=left]
BECCA ROSE
Commodore
Commodore

Post by BECCA ROSE »

Yes Bill A. that fill hose was changed when I first got the boat. The cockpit deck was removed at the time and I figured why not. It didn't look that great so I'm glad I did it.
Bill 1989 33 FBC Cummins 6BTA's ><)))))*> ~------- Image
photo finish
Commodore
Commodore

Post by photo finish »

Well they may not give you the phone number but they should give you your $1000 in fuel back. Marina work is expensive and the bills will keep adding up....good move getting it to a private dock.
Tim Stamm Photo Finish 1981 33' Bertram FBC Image
mikehedb
Commander
Commander

Post by mikehedb »

I know Kurt with "Crews Inn" in pompano Bch had an aluminum tank built and installed in his boat last year. He can probably give you the information regarding cost. I can try to touch base with him off-line and have him check the forum.
Mike Hedberg 1977 B33 FBC Sweet Melissa Naples, Florida
kwinters
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by kwinters »

I replaced my tank in my 33 Convertable last year. We took out the old tank and replaced with a alunimum tank which has been great. I had the tank built by Accurate Metal Works in Palm Beach Gardens. They are doing replacments on many of the older Bertrams, especially the 28's. They retrofit everything better than factory. They are located next to "The Ways" in Palm Beach Gardens and are the best around. You can lift the boat out at the ways and be 20 feet from their shop. Class Guys. They do work for all the big guys here such as Rybovich etc. all the way to us small guys and are reasonably priced. Owners do work, don't sit in a office. Let me know if you need any additional information. You will be glad you did it right if you intend on keeping the boat. I have run 7 trips to the Bahamas in the last 4 months in some bad seas and everything has been perfect. I plan to keep my boat till the end so I did not mind spending the money on her as we replaced about everything you can from all the stainless bow rails to a new hardtop with all new electronics in a box to get them off the helm to vacuflush head and holding tank, new fresh water system. Like a new 400k boat for 75K. I dont check this as much as I use to so my e-mail address is 4hpsi@comcast.net if you need to contact me for any additional details.
Kurt "CREWS INN" 1977 33 Bertram FBC North Palm Beach, Fl.
kwinters
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by kwinters »

Mike, hope the reply helps them out. I wasn't good about taking photos of anything we did as we went except the bowrail you put on your boat.
kwinters
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by kwinters »

Regarding the fuel cost issue, Boat US will pay for haul and removal of fuel but does not reimburse for the fuel. In my case I was just glad to get it out of the water and safe before I blew up half dozen million dollar houses. I actually had a slight issue getting rid of 250 gallons of gas quick so I told all the guys in the yard to pump it into their trucks.
kohna
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by kohna »

Its official sports fans. The tank is shot. They removed the cockpit deck to inspect the tank and he said the fiberglass is soft and mushy. They filed on the insurance report "Cause of failure: Deterioration due to ethanol corrosion“. Looks like a new tank for me. [:(]
kwinters
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by kwinters »

That is ugly. Replace it with a good alum. tank and you will love it. You will not believe the end of any fuel issues in the engines when you get rid of that tank. Accurate Metals in Palm Beach Gardens, FL will build the tank for around $3,800. I had them put in the return fittings for deisel if you ever want to change out. That also it epoxy coated and should last longer than the owner or the boat unless you are really young.