IRGuy's First Fishing Trip!

Use this forum to post fishing trip results. Please remember to include locations when posting reports.
Grady Smith
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

IRGuy's First Fishing Trip!

Post by Grady Smith »

Here are some pics of the past weekend. We went out Sat with our good friends Frank and Jimmy who own the Cummins dealership in Wanchese. We became good friends during our repower. We caught 8/9 blues/spanish........just enought for baitfish on Sunday. We took a newbie out for his first trip saltwater fishing on Sunday. Frank B. IRGuy met us down Sat night and treated us to Outback. Thanks Frank for that! Jerry and I were really sweating it after four hours of trolling Sunday morning for blues/spanish and nothing. Frank looked at me at one point and said this is the first time I have ever been saltwater fishing....talk about pressure. We decided to take Frank out to the Zane Gray and try bottom fishing......we caught Gray Trigger fish every 2 minutes for 3 hours or more. Towards the end we ran out of blues and started using Spanish......the Triggerfish went crazy. Frank was pulling in very large doubles. We stopped keeping them after we'd caught about 18-20, Frank caught something that he pulled on with no luck. It would not move at all. It buried in the wreck and we cut the line. I lost something big after 10 minutes and Jerry on the final fish of the day played a shark for 30 minutes......he was around 4-5 ft and cut off at the boat. Tonight it's filet of Trigger sauteed in olive oil/butter with a little caper and lemon. Hey Frank, I appreciated your interest in the boat. We became fast friends and Jerry and I really enjoyed your company and the dinner Frank.........are you fixing Trigger tonight as well? Grady http://www.scaffoldmart.com/Boat/Fishin ... 061408.htm
IRGuy
Commodore
Commodore

Post by IRGuy »

I don't really know where to start this post, because there are three topics I have to talk about! In no particular order of importance, because they are all important.. First.. I had a fantastic time on Sunday! Grady and his buddy Jerry showed me a great time and hosted me to my very first time salt water fishing. The fact that we caught a ton of fish is in a way secondary.. I made two more friends and that would have been enough! Thanks guys.. I hope one day to be able to return the favor! Second.. Yes, we caught a bunch of fish.. a lot of trigger fish.. and yes Grady.. my wife is in the kitchen right now preparing some for tonight's supper. She asked me how you cooked them and I told her what you posted above, so she has the pan on the stove right now. The big one that got away.. (I guess all fishermen have a story that starts that way!).. I am sure it was huge.. if you say it was most likely a grouper then that is good enough for me.. I will be back for another shot at him! Thanks guys for showing me how it is done.. I had a ball and will always remember the trip that ended my salt water fishing virginity! And third.. The boat! Your boat (as yet unnamed) is a gem! The interior workmanship and materials are first rate! It is hard to describe how beautiful it is! I now have an example to attempt to follow as I start on "Phoenix's" rebuild! I came home with some new ideas on what I want to accomplish, and have a great example to follow (can you say "Twenty coats of varnish on the cabin door and table?") The pictures in the link above can only provide some clues as to the quality.. you really have to see the boat to appreciate it! All in all.. I had a perfect day.. new friends, a great boat, and caught some fish! What can be better? (Well.. maybe one thing, but we will leave that for another time! LOL) Thanks again!
Frank B - IRGuy@aol.com "Phoenix" 1983 FBC Cummins 6Bs - 315HP Wilmington, NC
Grady Smith
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Grady Smith »

Yes Frank is was a perfect day......Jerry and I count you as a good friend......I can't wait til we can do this again. Maybe on your boat! Grady
Admin
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Admin »

Great story guys, looks like a great time and thanks for sharing with us!
David Sumich
1986 SF - 33 Megabites
Huntington Harbour, CA
Forum Administrator
dougl33
Admiral
Admiral

Post by dougl33 »

Frank, What the hell? You didn't spend any time cleaning my boat last summer!
Regards, Doug L.
1986 33 Bertram FBC Cummins 6BTA's Queen Elizabeth
Marblehead, MA
IRGuy
Commodore
Commodore

Post by IRGuy »

YOU didn't take me fishing! All YOU did was feed me, give me beers, and gave me a bunk for two days! I have thought a lot about this past weekend, and I have concluded... ANY TIME A GUY WITH A BERTRAM ASKS YOU IF YOU WANT TO GO FISHING WITH HIM AND HIS BUDDY.. YOU GOTTA BELIEVE HE IS A GOOD GUY!
Frank B - IRGuy@aol.com "Phoenix" 1983 FBC Cummins 6Bs - 315HP Wilmington, NC
alynnellis
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by alynnellis »

Hey Guys; What a great fishing story. The bonus is adding two friends. Thanks for the Report. Capt LuLu