Insurance woes

Use this forum to post or reply to topics related to safety or insurance like rates, training courses, safety procedures, etc.
Chris Anderson
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Chris Anderson »

The agreed value is currently 160K, but with a new survey being requested, I expect the value to drop. After I get the new valuation I'm going to try to shop again. With the current storm activity, non of the carriers will even quote right now. Let's go to Tween Waters THIS weekend....
Chris Anderson "Kiwi Too" '84 33' sf Sarasota, FL Image
khybskid
Commander
Commander

Post by khybskid »

hi everyone, Thought i would put my two cents worth in. I just got notice that zurich ins. was looking to cancel me and that this whole summer i was not insured for fire caused by gas tank problems or related fuel problems. My agent found another company that is willing to cover me complete but she believes that all co.s will cave into the fuel tank situation. My boats in boston harbor. My premium from zurich was 1300 and this new co. only wants 1200. With fuel coverage.
captgene
Captain
Captain

Post by captgene »

$1200!!! I'll take that. I just coughed up another $3100. All they asked is when was the last time I saw the boat and took my money. This is the first I heard of anyone putting up the Gas tank excuse. Gene Dugan "Nauti Marie" 1989 33 FBC
Gene Dugan Boca Raton, Fl. "Nauti Marie" 1989 33 FBC 2007 8.1 Crusaders SOLD 2000 Pursuit 2870 Offshore Twin 2016 Suzuki 200s
BECCA ROSE
Commodore
Commodore

Post by BECCA ROSE »

I wonder if the insurance companies will change their opinion about our boats, and fuel tanks even after they are replaced with new fiberglass, stainless, aluminum? Have we been blackballed no matter what is done to the boat. Lets see what happens to Rick and Al after the tanks are installed. Will they be covered for fire and damage relating to fuel? Do they think Bertram=Disaster? What a snow job. Who is your new insurance company khybskid? Bill 33 FBC Ipswich, Ma. [img]http://www.bertram33.com/photogallery/p ... a_Rose.jpg[/img]
Bill 1989 33 FBC Cummins 6BTA's ><)))))*> ~------- Image
buzzk
Captain
Captain

Post by buzzk »

Because I recently had to find a new insurance comypany. I went with a company that told me I could add a rider at little or no cost to take the boat to Florida as long as it wasn't during hurricane season. If I take the boat down it wouldn't be during hurricane season so this was OK with me. When I was shopping around for insurance, I couldn't understand and still don't understand why some companies wouldn't add a rider or it would cost so much it wasn't worth the trouble. It didn't matter what season the boat was going to be in Florida. I use my boat all year in NC so I don't have a haul out period on my policy and it can get nasty tuna fishing. How can the risk in Florida be any higher in Jan. Feb. than in NC? Thanks Buzz Buzzk 1988 Bertram 33 FBC Buzz Off Morehead City, NC
buzzk 1988 Bertram 33 FBC Cummins 6BTA's Buzz Off Morehead City, NC
BECCA ROSE
Commodore
Commodore

Post by BECCA ROSE »

Good question, and the answer is price gouging I guess. There is a ton of money in Florida, lots and lots of people with expendable income, with more wealth coming in everyday. They're going to charge it because they can get it. If your an average Joe you won't be able to live in Florida in the near future. At least that's what I hear all the time from my Dad who has lived there on a pension for the last 15 years. Bill 33 FBC Ipswich, Ma. [img]http://www.bertram33.com/photogallery/p ... a_Rose.jpg[/img]
Miss B
Commander
Commander

Post by Miss B »

The insurance market is terrible in Florida no matter what the product. The windstorm coverage on the buildings I manage went from 95,000 last year to renewal in December at $278,000. How's that for a kick in the teeth? That is just the wind coverage. On top of that I have flood, property (which is a fire type policy) as well as liability policies. Flood is relatively stable but I wonder what will happen when the fire policy renews next April. Should really be a butt kicker...
captgene
Captain
Captain

Post by captgene »

And that is on the Fl. west coast. Because I live East of I-95 the only people I can get windstorm with is our State sponsered pirates. And with that I still have a $18K deductable. Next time we get whacked, it better knock the house all the way to the ground. Of coarse we never want to see that. I'm thinking it is cheaper not to have insurance anymore. Just get a new mortgage..I'll never live long enough to pay it off anyway. Gene Dugan Boca Raton, Fl. "Nauti Marie" 1989 33 FBC
Gene Dugan Boca Raton, Fl. "Nauti Marie" 1989 33 FBC 2007 8.1 Crusaders SOLD 2000 Pursuit 2870 Offshore Twin 2016 Suzuki 200s
khybskid
Commander
Commander

Post by khybskid »

hi bill, You had asked me who was going to carry my insurance after zurich wants to drop me. The name i got is hagerty and its a collector car and boat insurance co. My agent didnt know for sure if the tank situation was going to come up with them or not but i'll know when the binder shows up
BECCA ROSE
Commodore
Commodore

Post by BECCA ROSE »

Let us know! Thanks! Bill 33 FBC Ipswich, Ma. [img]http://www.bertram33.com/photogallery/p ... a_Rose.jpg[/img]
Capt. Ed
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Capt. Ed »

Received my renewal... UNCHANGED! [:D] Boy, did I luck out!
1979 Bertram 33' FBC ALEXANDRA Port Richey, Florida Image BERTRAM PRIDE '07 PLAN TO ATTEND!
dougl33
Admiral
Admiral

Post by dougl33 »

Well, there's nothing like a little good news for a change! Regards, Doug L. 1986 33 Bertram FBC Queen Elizabeth Marblehead, MA [img]http://www.bertram33.com/photogallery/p ... sabeth.jpg[/img]
Regards, Doug L.
1986 33 Bertram FBC Cummins 6BTA's Queen Elizabeth
Marblehead, MA
photo finish
Commodore
Commodore

Post by photo finish »

Ed, It helps when you invite your insurance agent and probably the underwriter to your 1 year olds birthday party!!! I am just guessing they were there. What an awesome party Ed and Lynne throw....And man can they cook.
Tim Stamm Photo Finish 1981 33' Bertram FBC Image
Capt. Ed
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Capt. Ed »

Thanks Tim. Lyn and I were so happy that you, Tanya and boys could make it, that was awesome, thanks. Did you get a smoker yet?
1979 Bertram 33' FBC ALEXANDRA Port Richey, Florida Image BERTRAM PRIDE '07 PLAN TO ATTEND!
photo finish
Commodore
Commodore

Post by photo finish »

No smoker yet..but I am still thinking about that beef brisket!
Tim Stamm Photo Finish 1981 33' Bertram FBC Image