Rudder needed for 1986 Bertram 33

Use this forum to discuss all things relating to the Bertram 33 Sportfisher.
LuckyGirl
Ensign
Ensign

Rudder needed for 1986 Bertram 33

Post by LuckyGirl »

Working on our “rescue” 33 1986 SF with 3208s and seemed steering was difficult, jumped in the water and sure enough, starboard rudder is missing. Original size rudder. Does anyone have one or a pair of oversized rudder they want to sell? Or would appreciate specs as we could build new ones. Thanks!
dougl33
Admiral
Admiral

Re: Rudder needed for 1986 Bertram 33

Post by dougl33 »

Well that blows.

You try Danny at Hightide Marine in Miami. He's been the go to guy for OEM Bertram parts.

Good luck.
Regards, Doug L.
1986 33 Bertram FBC Cummins 6BTA's Queen Elizabeth
Marblehead, MA
LuckyGirl
Ensign
Ensign

Post by LuckyGirl »

Thanks Doug. I’ve talked to Danny but was hoping for a used pair or some specs on oversized.
Chip
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Chip »

I replaced both of mine with oversized rudders. It was a job to get the old ones out -- had to cut them out (the shaft, not fiberglass). I had the local yard do the job. But I found that the original rudders were so undersized that the boat could not be effectively steered with a single rudder, which really undermines the safety factor of twin engines. (A second motor is no good if you cannot steer and go in circles).

Unfortunately, I cannot find the invoice or receipt at the moment. It was several years ago. But I began with a Google search of "bertram 33 oversized rudders". You might try that.

Good luck,

Chip
bertram 20
Ensign
Ensign

Post by bertram 20 »

i recently came across a 33 Sf that had Silverton rudders on it in Scituate i did take some pics text me 774 297 0264 I could send you the picks maybe you can find a used set of these and install them onto your boat