Breaking the ice

Use this forum to discuss all things generally relating to Bertram 33s.
Capn Tony
Captain
Captain

Breaking the ice

Post by Capn Tony »

For those of us who haul hope you had a great season. Let’s wake this site up seems to have gone to sleep.
Thanks Capn' T Roamin' Beauty 33'Bert SF 3116 Cats Hyannis MA.
mouldrp
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Re: Breaking the ice

Post by mouldrp »

Tony,
Yes, it has been quite. I check in several times a week to little activity.

However I’m afraid that I’ll be checking in even less, as I just sold my 1988 FBC after owning it for 19 great years.

At 76 and 74, my wife and I find it more and more difficult to run and work on the boat.

In those 19 years I’ve done all the work on the boat myself, from engine rebuild to glass and electrical. The thought of me hiring someone to work on the boat just didn’t sit well with me, and with the FBC’s engines under the solon sole, there isn’t much room for this old guy to move around any more to do the needed maintenance.

Anyway, it was time, and the buyer is someone I know will love and care for her as much as my wife and I have.
Richard Mould 1988 FBC - Sheer Folly Greenwich, CT
swilczynski
Commander
Commander

Post by swilczynski »

Hope is well. I have a SF, and don’t get in and out of engine compartments easier with age. I have a few bruises from doing maintenance this weekend.

Good luck to you …
Scott W - Stuart, FL
1991 Sport Fish - Yanmar 370's
Sine Qua Non
h2ojst
Captain
Captain

Post by h2ojst »

Hi Tony,
I actually sold mine as well this past April after 23 blessed years. It was time. Our lifestyle has changed dramatically. The twins are now off to college and my wife wanted new and fast. We are now owners of a 2023 328 Sea Fox Commander with twin 400 Verado's. I'll still check in from time to time as the Bertram family is a happy place! Take care.
Joe Tomaini
1988 Sportfish
Attitude Adjustment II
Bath, NC
dougl33
Admiral
Admiral

Post by dougl33 »

Hello all.

Tony,

As you also boat up here in New England, the season sucked. At least it sucked for a still working guy that can only go out on the weekends. Memorial Day and Labor Day weekends were great, but everything in between was terrible. The weather on most weekends was either complete dog shit or was forecast to be and prevented me from making long-term plans. I only put fuel in once this season.

Coming out this coming weekend.
Regards, Doug L.
1986 33 Bertram FBC Cummins 6BTA's Queen Elizabeth
Marblehead, MA
Capn Tony
Captain
Captain

Post by Capn Tony »

Started the fall maintenance yesterday with the changing of filters & oil. I have a mounted Xchanger oil transfer unit which worked fine draining 6.5 gal of oil from each engine. When I went to use the unit to fill the engines it would not pull any oil from the bucket; the oil was not cold. I suspect the impeller but why would it work one way but not the other? Any thoughts before I pull the unit. The impeller was changed 3 years ago.
Thanks Capn' T Roamin' Beauty 33'Bert SF 3116 Cats Hyannis MA.
lobsta1
Commodore
Commodore

Post by lobsta1 »

Hi Tony, my 1st choice would be the impellor. Think about it. Out then in again 13 gal. per engine. The pumping back in is with cold oil. Second choice would be an air look on the normal output side.
Good luck
Al
P.S If a line from one of the engines is easily accessible pull that off & see if you can still pump the normal direction.
1978 33 FBC NITES OFF