Repower

Use this forum to discuss all things relating to the Bertram 33 Convertible.
Camano Mike
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Repower

Post by Camano Mike »

https://ibb.co/YRSjnL5
https://ibb.co/x87YcHk
https://ibb.co/KKyWcnS

Repower adventures begin!

Thanks to the forum I had a good idea of what it would take to remove the cabinets. Unfortunately I'm not doing anything crazy, just pulling and rebuilding my 454's. If anyone has suggestions for projects to do while the motors are out, send them my way!
lobsta1
Commodore
Commodore

Re: Repower

Post by lobsta1 »

Have fun. Forget a strict timetable as you won't be able to keep it. Have new oil lines made for the trannys. Don't use the lines with push on connectors. If you have a heat exchanger in domestic water heater, replace the lines to the engine. Clean the shafts in the stuffing box really, really well including sandpaper or emery cloth. Then when you re-stuff it, use Goretex packing.
Since you're rebuilding not replacing the engines, I would put all new hoses on.
Just a few things to think about.
Good Luck
Al
1978 33 FBC NITES OFF
Camano Mike
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Camano Mike »

Awesome! Thanks for the info, I really appreciate it.
Camano Mike
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Camano Mike »

I will tell you what, 454's are not the old run-of-the-mill, everyone has one laying around in there uncle's back yard engine any more. When I first starting looking into this rebuild, I hit the usual searches and it made it seem like the motors were still abundant. As I started talking to the reputable boat yards in our area (NW Washington), they let me know that none of them will install longblocks from the several rebuild sites that you see on the web. Basically, if it doesn't come from Mercruiser, Volvo Penta etc., they will not install them - mostly because of warranty issues. They will cover the long block, but not the work involved with removing and replacing. That is why the yard I chose is rebuilding my original engines.

Long story short, thanks to this forum, I have been able to ask the right questions and I am going with a yard I have confidence in to do the job right. I know it is not particularly active, but there is a ton of really good information here. Thank you.
And for the diesel guys (of which I am jealous), I looked into this option - $92,000.00 just to by a pair of new 380 HP Volvo's! Volvo and Yanmar dominate the market in this region. The wife said I have to sell my Montauk and my F-350 if I want those!

Time now for a beer!
h2ojst
Captain
Captain

Post by h2ojst »

Mike, good decission. At least if you're dealing with a reputable yard that knows how to rebuild an engine correctly, you will be very pleased with the results. Another quicker option would have been a new long block purchse directly from chevy/GM. There are plenty available crate motors that fit the bill. I would, however, convince your wife to let you purchase new fuel injection systems and get rid of the carbs. That will help the fuel economy quite a bit.
Joe Tomaini
1988 Sportfish
Attitude Adjustment II
Bath, NC
Camano Mike
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Camano Mike »

Thanks for the advice Joe. I appreciate that. How do you like the sportfish model? There are only a few out here on the West Coast, but man they are cool! I didn't get to see one in person until last December driving through Depoe Bay in Oregon -"Chum Bucket" - I have seen him on this site and then In Cape May a couple weeks ago I saw one up on the hard - I don't remember the name. Those later model layouts look pretty nice!
h2ojst
Captain
Captain

Post by h2ojst »

I love the sportfish model, Mike. (22 years for me this June) Couldn't really ask for much more......except another 10 feet of cabin space, a walk around bed and another stateroom! Seriously though, it's a great boat to fish and play. My kids have just gotten too big for our family of 4 to do more serious overnighting. I have decided to sell her this year and move over to the "outboard" side of life.
Joe Tomaini
1988 Sportfish
Attitude Adjustment II
Bath, NC
Camano Mike
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Camano Mike »

35 years can make a mess! It is cool to see underneath where the motors were. The yard is going to clean and give a new coat of paint while the motors are being rebuilt.

https://ibb.co/7knWzwy
Camano Mike
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Camano Mike »

Port engine is back and running on the bench. Full rebuild and balance all rolling parts. I'm getting really excited to see what the boat is like with brand new power. This was the good motor and they still went .030 over to clean up the cylinder walls. It was just under 2000 hours. The starboard motor is at the machine shop now and they think it will be back end of July. I learned about the break in process yesterday. It started at the machine shop with the fire up. I saw the video and it was pretty sweet! They run a light weight oil (5-20 I think with added zinc) for start up. After the motors are in, they will run them hard for about an hour to seat the rings and then change out the oil to a heavier grade with more zinc added. This will help lubricated the camshaft and valves. The whole process is very interesting and pretty exciting!
Camano Mike
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Camano Mike »

Well, she's done. I got her back yesterday. What an adventure that turned out to be. I'm not sure about things on the right coast, but here on the left coast labor is definitely an issue. I am happy with the work, the yard did a very nice job on the install, but man, there is no such thing as "done in a timely fashion". Anyway, "Tin Man" is back in the water and moving to her new slip in a couple weeks. Now I can clean 8 months of yard grime off of her and put everything back together. Hope everyone is well and had a wonderful summer season!
Camano Mike
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Camano Mike »

Also, thanks Al for the info. They did all new hoses and repack of the shaft seals. I didn't have to ask them, but I was glad to know so I could if needed.
lobsta1
Commodore
Commodore

Post by lobsta1 »

Good luck with the new power. Sounds like you got a conscientious shop.
Al
1978 33 FBC NITES OFF
dougl33
Admiral
Admiral

Post by dougl33 »

Glad to hear you're back in the water Mike. Good luck with the new power.
Regards, Doug L.
1986 33 Bertram FBC Cummins 6BTA's Queen Elizabeth
Marblehead, MA