Groco head

Use this forum to discuss all things generally relating to Bertram 33s.
Camano Mike
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Groco head

Post by Camano Mike »

All right, here is a fun one. I think the joker valve is toast on the old Groco and we have been using a golf club handle to pump the toilet. A replacement handle is only about 29 bucks and I think the rebuild kit is a little over a hundred. So, big question, do I rebuild the Groco or step into the modern age of marine sanitation and go with a new electric head. I already have the switch and solenoid on the boat (must have been pre-wired at the factory for that option)
Capn Tony
Captain
Captain

Re: Groco head

Post by Capn Tony »

Go with electric. I had the manual in my B31’ for twenty years and had to tinker with it many times. I’ve had my B33’ for 11 years and the head works great. Only had to reattach the maserator which unscrewed itself last year.
Thanks Capn' T Roamin' Beauty 33'Bert SF 3116 Cats Hyannis MA.
h2ojst
Captain
Captain

Post by h2ojst »

Mike,

I have my old Groco electric sitting on the floor in my shop. Just needs a new set of piston rings installed. You can have the whole thing, just pay the shipping.

Tony is dead on though, get a new head. The Groco is a monster, but the newer Raritan's are sweet!
Joe Tomaini
1988 Sportfish
Attitude Adjustment II
Bath, NC
lobsta1
Commodore
Commodore

Post by lobsta1 »

Go with the Raritan Marine Elegance. I've had mine since 2011 & live on my boat all summer. It gets a lot of use & it has had zero maintenance. I think it could suck down a grapefruit.
Al
1978 33 FBC NITES OFF
Camano Mike
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Camano Mike »

Awesome! Thanks guys! Was there much to modify when switching out the heads, or is it pretty much unbolt the old one and bolt in the new one?
Capn Tony
Captain
Captain

Post by Capn Tony »

Sounds like ur ahead of the game on the electric side. With the wiring already in place should just be a couple of bolts.
Thanks Capn' T Roamin' Beauty 33'Bert SF 3116 Cats Hyannis MA.
h2ojst
Captain
Captain

Post by h2ojst »

And depends on how you plumb it....fresh or salt. I stuck with the salt (and the occasional smell) to save on water consumption and added an inline water filter. Easy job and looks and works great.
Joe Tomaini
1988 Sportfish
Attitude Adjustment II
Bath, NC
Camano Mike
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Camano Mike »

Thanks again guys!
lobsta1
Commodore
Commodore

Post by lobsta1 »

If you are going the Raritan route, don't screw up Like I did & get the standard height. I was one of the early adopters & I couldn't find a Tallboy unit. That was a mistake. They also now have both a rear & down drain option for installation.
Al
1978 33 FBC NITES OFF
Camano Mike
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Camano Mike »

Great info as always guys! Thank you.