Location of fuel filters

Use this forum to discuss all things relating to the Bertram 33 Sportfisher.
Chip
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Location of fuel filters

Post by Chip »

Greetings

I have a 1986 33SF. Bought it five years ago. 4 years ago got sick, reaction to Crestor, myositosis and 2 back surgeries, 2 weeks at mayo, and 3 years of PT; now I can walk with a cane. So the boat sat... faithfully waiting on me to be able to be able to walk, through 5 hurricanes. Anyway, cane in hand, I am now getting back in task mode at an accelerated pace. I had the sole recored it’s in storage.. and while it’s out I’m replacing the fuel lines. I’m thinking of trashing the old racors for a SeaboardMarine setup because it’s cleaner and simpler. And easier to service. (I’m 6’5”, so accessing racors is not easy.). My racors are mounted on the cabin bulkhead in the engine compartment. I’m thinking of mounting the new ones on the aft bulkhead, just behind the engines. Shorter fuel lines. Fewer bends. Accessible from engine boxes. But it’s close to the batteries and the engine wells; in fact, it’s in the engine wells. Any experience with this? Any critiques? Safety concerns? Heat? Thoughts, experience recommendations? I would appreciate any thoughts. Thanks for your time. Best to you all

Jonathan (aka Chip)
Rick
Commodore
Commodore

Re: Location of fuel filters

Post by Rick »

Hey Chip,

Wow - that's a lot of recovering to do, good for you getting int here to get back to boating. I would make accessibility the top the priority to the filters. As long as you're not right next manifolds or anything else that is extremely hot, you should be ok.
Rick
Ticket 85 SF Merc 454 MPI's USCG 50T Masters w/ Towing Endorsement
Falmouth, MA
Chip
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Re: Location of fuel filters

Post by Chip »

thanks