Tach's

Use this forum to discuss all things relating to the Bertram 33 Sportfisher.
Rick
Commodore
Commodore

Re: Tach's

Post by Rick »

I just ordered 3M 3000 UV Black to seal the instrument panel to the console. I'm not 100% sure about it, but it sounds like it'll match up, work well and let go if I want to get back in there.
Rick
Ticket 85 SF Merc 454 MPI's USCG 50T Masters w/ Towing Endorsement
Falmouth, MA
lobsta1
Commodore
Commodore

Post by lobsta1 »

Rick, copy the BBcode & then paste it here.
Al
1978 33 FBC NITES OFF
Rick
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Rick »

Thanks Al ! Very helpful, you're such a guileful Lobsta !

So that is the tach, free to anyone who that wants to pay shipping.
Rick
Falmouth, MA
PleasureBay
Commander
Commander

Post by PleasureBay »

How were you able to finally post the tach photo. I have tried to post a photo of my boat to no avail!
Jack Van Deman
"Why Knot?" '82 33SF 3208CATS
Little River, SC
mouldrp
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by mouldrp »

Rick,

It’s probably a little late now, but the “goopy seal” stuff is Mortite caulking cord. You can find it a Home Depot. It is my understanding that Bertram used it for bedding the gage panel.

It’s great for sealing things that need to come apart now and again, as it never hardens and remains “goopy”.
Richard Mould 1988 FBC - Sheer Folly Greenwich, CT
Rick
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Rick »

Thanks Rich,

Yeah, wish I connected with you earlier, but this 3000 stuff sounds like a similar product. Even after 35 years, that panel came off easily...guess Bertram knew what they were doing !

Pleasure: See Dave's instructions on the "General" tab, then paste as Al mentioned.
Rick
Falmouth, MA
mouldrp
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by mouldrp »

Rick,

It’s probably a little late now, but the “goopy seal” stuff is Mortite caulking cord. You can find it a Home Depot. It is my understanding that Bertram used it for bedding the gage panel.

It’s great for sealing things that need to come apart now and again, as it never hardens and remains “goopy”.
Admin
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Admin »

PleasureBay wrote: Thu Apr 16, 2020 9:57 am How were you able to finally post the tach photo. I have tried to post a photo of my boat to no avail!
I'll get this done this weekend (along with your thumbnail in Signature). For general pic posting, I will make a new sticky topic this weekend too.
David Sumich
1986 SF - 33 Megabites
Huntington Harbour, CA
Forum Administrator
Rick
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Rick »

I've got to follow up by thanking everyone that responded and especially Rich. I did end up using that Mortite Caulking Cord to seal the instrument panel and that's exactly what it is ! Since then, I've used it for sealing my outside bulkhead & underneath a ledge in a shower at home. It's really easy to work with.
Rick
Falmouth, MA
dougl33
Admiral
Admiral

Post by dougl33 »

I use that shit around my old windows at the house every winter.
Regards, Doug L.
1986 33 Bertram FBC Cummins 6BTA's Queen Elizabeth
Marblehead, MA
mouldrp
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by mouldrp »

Glad I was not too late replying to your query about the material used to bed the dash panel and you were able to use the Mortite. You won’t be sorry if you ever need to remove the panel again.

I work with my brother (R.E.M. Yacht Repair in Royaton, CT) and have removed many gage panels and I am always thankful for those that were bedded with Mortite, or like material.
Rick
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Rick »

The story is not over....

Last week my port engine died, no spark. The Coil & the Pick-up coil were fried. The engines are 20 years old so I didn't think much about it and replaced the parts. Put the engine back together....no spark. Replaced the start relay...no spark. Replaced the distributor control module....no spark. Checked all the fuses, neutral switch and voltages going to the distributor and coil, all good and still no spark. I was at a total loss.

Hate to say it but I jumped on Sea Ray site (because a lot of them have my engines) and they talked about the Tach loading down the coil. They also talked about needing enough starting voltage while you're cranking the engine.

So I went back to the boat and disconnected the tach from the harness just to take it out of the equation and proceeded to connect my voltmeter to the starter to confirm I had enough starting voltage. I cranked the engine and before I could even look at the voltmeter the engine fired up immediately ! I reset the timing (because I pulled the distributor to change the pick-up coil) and it has purred ever since.

When I compare the two tach's my Port Tach sense reads 65 Ohms to Ground, the Starboard reads 112 Ohms to ground. I think that both of my original tach's are good and I've got some kind of a wiring issue in my console which I'm going to dig into today. Another thing that blew my mind was another guy who has Crusaders told me that he had the same issue and it's a relatively common problem.....I've never heard of it before but I guess you never stop learning .
Rick
Falmouth, MA
franklyprice
Commodore
Commodore

Post by franklyprice »

You're right Rick, thanks.
Frank Price
1987 SF "Jeanne Claire"
Rowley Ma
captxmas62
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by captxmas62 »

Rick,
I am loving this new site!!
I just changed out all my gauges last summer with the same ones (Faria-Beede is a customer of mine, so they hooked me up pretty well).
I did all my gauges from the bottom. I just pulled out the foot tray and used a couple of Square Throwable cushions on the lip and all went well.
Absolutely wanted no part of removing the panel and steering hub. Plus, you need to get to all of the wires anyway.
It wasnt bad at all and gave me a chance to rewire and chase a few vagrant wires.
Good luck and all the best!
Jim
Capt. James R Noel USCG 100T Master 1989 33' Sportfish Branford, CT
Rick
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Rick »

Now that I’ve done it a couple of times, removing the instrument panel is a piece of cake. I can do it in less than 15 minutes and the access is much better. My problem was the Tach itself....only lasted 3 weeks but they are replacing it at n/c.
Rick
Falmouth, MA