Repower

Use this forum to discuss all things relating to the Bertram 33 Convertible.
dougl33
Admiral
Admiral

Post by dougl33 »

Eric, Welcome aboard. I owned a 1981 28 with the 228hp mercs for 2 seasons before I moved up to my 33. With the 228's it would cruise at 21-22 knots and burn around 17-18 gph. I loved the 28, it was just too small for what I like to do. 350's would be a good choice, or the 6.0's. Not sure I would re-power with diesels, I know most of the guys that did re-power went with either 4 cyl Cummins or Yanmars. I know the 4BTA Cummins have a bad rap and I don't think Yanmar makes a 4cyl anymore. Maybe the new Volvo D3? What are you planning on doing with the boat?
Regards, Doug L.
1986 33 Bertram FBC Cummins 6BTA's Queen Elizabeth
Marblehead, MA
ericmyers

Post by ericmyers »

Doug, Fishing in the Chesapeake Bay, but I could see taking it offshore after I get more comfortable with everything, as this is a new hobby for me. Is it practical to simply rebuild the existing motors, if in fact they are at the end of their useful life? That doesn't sound like a terrible rate of fuel consumption at cruising speed to me. What do you see as the differences betw. the 28 & 33? thanks - eric
dougl33
Admiral
Admiral

Post by dougl33 »

Not to be a wise ass, but size. The 33 may only be 5 feet wider, but its also a foot and half wider. The 33 is just a much bigger boat. I use mine to cruise, but if fishing is your primary thought, the 28 would be fine. The 28 was just too small for me. What makes you think the engines in the 28 are all done?
Regards, Doug L.
1986 33 Bertram FBC Cummins 6BTA's Queen Elizabeth
Marblehead, MA
mikehedb
Commander
Commander

Post by mikehedb »

If you're going to keep the 28...new 350 long blocks probably are less than $2k and are easy to get in and out of the 28. Two weekends ago I locked up on of the 454s in my 1977 B33 FBC, it came out today and I will replace it with a fresh long block. I was surprise at how easy it came out through the doorway one I removed the manifolds and risers. The hardest part was getting the boat from my very tight slip to the boat yard and back on one engine. Good luck with your decision.
Mike Hedberg 1977 B33 FBC Sweet Melissa Naples, Florida
ericmyers

Post by ericmyers »

Doug, you are correct, it is really smaller, and I'm not being sarcastic. this was the first 28' I visited yesterday and I'm not sure I could function in it, pretty tight. I now see what you mean. Thanks to you all, I now also understand why the gas engines are well-suited for this size boat. Sorry for the elementary questions as I continue my learning curve, which is significant. Best - Eric