custom battery box

Use this forum to discuss all things relating to the Bertram 33 Convertible.
Justinf89
Commander
Commander

custom battery box

Post by Justinf89 »

I just tore out the old rotten battery box that was really way to large anyway. Does anyone have any good ideas or pictures on a custom one? I'm looking to fit three group 31 batteries side by side. I really dont' want to build a boring rectangle with a lid. Any cool ideas? Thanks
Justin Fortin 1977 33' FBC Norfolk, VA "Susie Q"
Rick
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Rick »

If you've got wet batteries (the ones that need water), then you should build the rectangular boring one and glass it in. Surveyers & Insurance companies will look for a glassed box. Rick Ticket 85 SF Merc 454 MPI's Falmouth, MA
Rick
Ticket 85 SF Merc 454 MPI's USCG 50T Masters w/ Towing Endorsement
Falmouth, MA
IRGuy
Commodore
Commodore

Post by IRGuy »

Justin... In my writeup about the upgrading of my 12 volt panel and wiring I show pictures of the two custom battery boxes I built for my 6 Group 34 batteries. Check the Owner Tips section of this forum for the whole project. One 8D battery is the same footprint as three Group 34s.
Frank B - IRGuy@aol.com "Phoenix" 1983 FBC Cummins 6Bs - 315HP Wilmington, NC
Justinf89
Commander
Commander

Post by Justinf89 »

Ok thanks guys. IRGuy, your work is immaculate. Great job. I love the ends you used on the wires, where can you get these? I'm re-doing all the wiring now since I found 'welding cable 2/0' for my stbd engine.
Justin Fortin 1977 33' FBC Norfolk, VA "Susie Q"
IRGuy
Commodore
Commodore

Post by IRGuy »

Justin... Thank you for the kind words! My local "Batteries Plus" store stocked both the 2/0 battery cable and the compression terminal fittings. I am not sure every Batteries Plus store stocks them.. if you can't find them locally let me know and I will try to find where my local store gets them, or at least the name of the manufacturer.
Frank B - IRGuy@aol.com "Phoenix" 1983 FBC Cummins 6Bs - 315HP Wilmington, NC