Circle Hooks

Use this forum to post fishing trip results. Please remember to include locations when posting reports.
Captain Dan McClarren
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Circle Hooks

Post by Captain Dan McClarren »

Happy New Year With all the stuff flying around from NMFS about the use of circle hooks for this coming year I was wondering if anyone out there was already using these hooks with ballyhoo both rigged naked and skirted. Also any recommendations for rigging would be deeply appreciated. I have used these hooks off of Hatteras for Bluefin Tuna but never for billfish Thanks in advance
Capt. Dan McClarren 1980 SF-33-Long Time Com'n Nanjemoy, MD Image
smanni
Captain
Captain

Post by smanni »

Slowly been switching over and sometimes I love them, sometimes I hate them. Chunking I love them and they work great. We trolled bally this year and I hated them - we missed so many fish - went back to J hooks and salvaged the trip. Im sure Ill try again, but reluctantly. - This was all tuna, no billfish.
lwrenn
Captain
Captain

Post by lwrenn »

We use them as our primary hook in live bait sailfishing.(non-offset circle hooks most tournaments) Hook up rate about the same but a ten count is really important. Then just reel instead of the bass fishing hook set. I also like to put the boat in gear as the fish takes the bait with the reel free spooling untill I feel the bait has been taken. Now for bootm fishing I do like the circle hooks. But since we are no longer allowed to fish for groupers for 4 months a year I will be staying up top. Also I use only circle hooks for deep drops. Make sure the hook is big enough to be able to hook the fish! My qoute " there is no place for the circle hook in dolphin fishing!!!" Captain Larry Wren 305-360-4900 www.apirateschoice.com [img]http://www.bertram33.com/photogallery/p ... Choice.jpg[/img]
Captain Larry Wren 305-360-4900 www.apirateschoice.com Image
Admin
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Admin »

quote:Originally posted by Larry wrenn My qoute " there is no place for the circle hook in dolphin fishing!!!" I caught this nice bull slow trolling a nose-pinned mackeral with an Owner 5/0 circle hook. He was so well hooked in the corner of his mouth he was never coming off, and he was allowed to fight with all his might. I was free spooled during the troll, but with the clicker on. When the clicker went off, I counted to 5, put the reel in gear, and just reeled in until it was super tight. Then I just lifted the rod tip and let the fun begin. [img]http://www.bertram33.com/images/uploads/Lor00032.jpg[/img]
David Sumich
1986 SF - 33 Megabites
Huntington Harbour, CA
Forum Administrator
richcatch22
Captain
Captain

Post by richcatch22 »

NICE! , David..... where was that? Capt Rich Catch 22 1989 33 FBC
Capt Rich Catch 22 1989 33 FBC Image
dougl33
Admiral
Admiral

Post by dougl33 »

...and why weren't you on your boat?
Regards, Doug L.
1986 33 Bertram FBC Cummins 6BTA's Queen Elizabeth
Marblehead, MA
Admin
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Admin »

This was in Loreto, Mexico (Sea of Cortez). That would be one heck of a haul for 33 Megabites. Notice however that I am representing with the hat!
David Sumich
1986 SF - 33 Megabites
Huntington Harbour, CA
Forum Administrator
lwrenn
Captain
Captain

Post by lwrenn »

Think about how a billfish takes the bait, sailfish will stunn with a whack of the bill and then eat. The circle hook is then supposed to come up in the mouth and turn and hook in the jaw. The part that is hard is the time it takes to let the fish eat the bait. Do you know how to use wire to allow the reel to free spool to allow total digestation of baits. How many times have you had a knock down and no fish? I also know how to bridle a bait, and yes the dolphin will eat and get hooked. I read about posters trying to troll circle hooks. They might work on a trolled strike but I belive most will miss the hook. If you are pitching baits to feeding fish that will strike and run, I still want j hooks. A very good friend of mine fishing in the Virgin Islands has lost more blues with circle hooks due a low percentage of hookups (1 for 5) with the brideled baits riiged with circle hooks. Captain Larry Wren 305-360-4900 www.apirateschoice.com [img]http://www.bertram33.com/photogallery/p ... Choice.jpg[/img]
Captain Larry Wren 305-360-4900 www.apirateschoice.com Image