Fishing Knots

Use this forum to post fishing trip results. Please remember to include locations when posting reports.
MrJohn
Ensign
Ensign

Fishing Knots

Post by MrJohn »

After recently reading a report on the breaking points on certain knots, I found that my beloved Palamar is the pits with braided line.[}:)] They break at low 40s up to the low 70s, of the pound test you are using, depending on the line manufacturer. Was also amazed reading that the bimini twist is much stronger only using 8 twists vrs the normal 20 to 25 with mono and 30 to 60 with braided. I hate tying a Bimini, but fewer twists appears to make it much easier. [:D]
Miss Missy 1977 33' Bertram FBC Slowcala, FL
smanni
Captain
Captain

Post by smanni »

July 2007 Saltwater sportsman article? I read the same thing. I still havent had a problem so I havent changes anything.
MrJohn
Ensign
Ensign

Post by MrJohn »

I have noticed braid breaking using the palamar before, but never gave much thought to it being the knot til now. I am wondering if it is actually breakage or simply the line cutting through itself. August issue of Sport Fishing.[:)]
smanni
Captain
Captain

Post by smanni »

must be same article..or similar. I usually dont have a problem with the braid but I double it back over itself to double the surface area before I ever tie a knot. That way you reduce the cutting risk and double the friction of the knot. It seems to work well for us.
MrJohn
Ensign
Ensign

Post by MrJohn »

I'll try a double palamar and see if that helps. Thanks. [:)]