rough day sat

Use this forum to post fishing trip results. Please remember to include locations when posting reports.
smanni
Captain
Captain

rough day sat

Post by smanni »

We ran out saturday just short of 40 miles to hint for shark. We knew we were pushing it (bad weather ) - but we figured who cares. We had a 2-4 ft sea on the way out and after setting up it was an easy 4-6 with some bigger ones mixed in. We need some practice for the Shark Tournaments. We had Bluefish quick and loaded up on 10-12 pounders for tourny bait. We sent a few back out live and almost got rewarded. One of the live blues sounded the reel for a short burst, then again - we tried to reel tight, then set, but there was nothing there - we reeled in to re-bait and saw an estimated 250lb thresher follow the hook. We figure the shark either wacked the blue first then got lucky and ate it between the 2 hooks. DAM, we tried to get it with pitch baits - but he was stuffed from his first meal. He left. About an hour later - another thresher swims into the slick and would not eat. Then an hour or so later, a HUGE 15 fter swims through the slick, slowly then away. We found the same shark on the way in and I pulled up next to it, within 7-10 feet of the shark. We werent sure what it was, and after looking it up when we got home - we figure it to be a Tiger shark. - This thing was HUGE, monstrous and if we hadnt cleaned up and put the gear away we would have tried to catch it , but it was getting late - so impressive to see this shark. It let us get close for a few minutes, then took off and circled around to the back of the boat - came up within 2 feet of the transom and my friend yells "WHO's HUNTING WHO". We turned and got next to it again - then it took off. We got the hole thing on Video. A friend has a new hunting camera with counter motion technology and it came out pretty good. I am waiting for the camera man to send me a copy then I will try to post some pics. ROUGH on the way in - but, its a Bertram. Overall, great day - tons of blues for bait. Missed one shark, couldnt get another to eat - then saw a monster.
sbeer
Captain
Captain

Post by sbeer »

At least the day wasn't boreing. I'm headed out there next week for some trial runs to get readu for the mako mania and shark anglers. Are you in the s/j tourny? Mike
Mike Lawrence 81 sportfish 33' shot'n'beer Image
smanni
Captain
Captain

Post by smanni »

I might be in the SJ. I was offered a chance to fish with a Contender sponsored team. FREE. If I want to throw in money, I can -otherwise the boat is from Contender (36 Contender fisharound) with a rep. A pro will run the boat - and a friend called me yesterday to see if I want in. I asked for "permission". I am supposed to go to a wedding Sat - a friend of my girlfriends. So far - she said that I have to be there - but I'm not giving up yet. It would be a great opp for me to be out there with those guys.
jcrootbeer
Commander
Commander

Post by jcrootbeer »

Cool, Glad to hear there was a little action. After this tropical passes, water temp and conditions should be nice for the SJ Shark Tourn. We will be fishing it for the 8th year.....1st time on the Betram. Here's to beginer's luck :-) Did you ask those Threshers and Tiger to stay around another week...and bring their Macko friends? LoL.
'Till Next Hook Up....! Jerry C. "Reel Hard" Cape May, NJ.