1990 Bertram 33 FBC

Use this forum to discuss all things generally relating to Bertram 33s.
Captain Matt
Ensign
Ensign

1990 Bertram 33 FBC

Post by Captain Matt »

Greetings All!!! Thanks for allowing me to join this group. We purchased the 1990 Bertram 33 FBC Never Say Never recently. We have been doing some refit work on it that can be watched here https://youtu.be/j7GAz_Mj7JY. The refit is going well and we hope to be back on the water this week. I will be looking for advice and thoughts... hopefully I will be able to share some ideas as well.
NSN.jpg
NSN.jpg (97.42 KiB) Viewed 1742 times
Captain Matthew Sligh
Saint Simons Island, Georgia

1990 Bertram 33 FBC
dougl33
Admiral
Admiral

Re: 1990 Bertram 33 FBC

Post by dougl33 »

Welcome aboard Matt.

Most of us here know your boat very well as the install of the Yanmars was detailed here way back in 06/07 ish (I don't remember exactly). I've crawled around that boat a number of times, though not in the last 10 years or so!

Brian did a great job with that project, so hopefully the subsequent owners kept the boat in good shape.
Regards, Doug L.
1986 33 Bertram FBC Cummins 6BTA's Queen Elizabeth
Marblehead, MA
Captain Matt
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Captain Matt »

Thanks for the good info!!! The Yanmars are in great shape. We just had them professionally serviced and the technician reported no challenges. We flushed out the cooling system and that came back really clean. Only about 800 hours on those motors, so we feel good about them. We are having to do a little bit of extensive repair on the starboard rudder post shelf. That area had stayed pretty wet over time and had degraded. We are going to pull the generator and redo that area and get it all back up to speed. I will try and post more updates... I am crazy about this boat and really looking forward to operating her a great deal.
Attachments
Capture.JPG
Capture.JPG (123.28 KiB) Viewed 1737 times
Captain Matthew Sligh

1990 Bertram 33 FBC
h2ojst
Captain
Captain

Post by h2ojst »

Just a couple of suggestions for you, Matt. Tides Marine makes an awesome replacement for the top rudder bearings. All Delrin and will never need replacement. I mounted them to "Ipe" wood boards which were epoxied in place. The Ipe will also never rot. Lastly, check your hydraulic steering cylinder while you're back there getting dirty. It's easy to either rebuild or replace while you have an open space.
Attachments
AA Bearing Blocks resized.JPG
AA Bearing Blocks resized.JPG (46.61 KiB) Viewed 1726 times
Joe Tomaini
1988 Sportfish
Attitude Adjustment II
Bath, NC
Captain Matt
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Captain Matt »

Great suggestion!!! Thanks so much for the info. I will check it out.
Captain Matthew Sligh

1990 Bertram 33 FBC