New Member Saying Hello

Use this forum to discuss all things generally relating to Bertram 33s.
Prater
Ensign
Ensign

New Member Saying Hello

Post by Prater »

New member here, first Bertram.

I purchased my buddies 1980 33 Sportfisherman since he is downgrading. I just moved from the Bahamas to the Marshall Islands and hope to get the boat the way I envision her while in the states and then shipping her to Kwajalein Atoll on a flatrack. I am sure I will have many questions and mostly asking for recommendations for service since I am unable to do the work myself being so isolated from supplies. First thing is finding a storage yard while I get estimates for a 30K GVRW trailer. The boat is in Madeira Beach, Florida on my buddies lift and I have a few months before it needs to be moved. Work that needs to be performed is the installation of a new Generator and a new freshwater tank, both came with the purchase...Wish list is a new hardtop and new frame/windows. Hopefully I can accomplish this from so far away...

Anyone have a storage yard recommendation around Cortez, Florida?

Steven Prater
1980 Bertram 33 SF
Kwajalein Atoll, RMI
Capn Tony
Captain
Captain

Re: New Member Saying Hello

Post by Capn Tony »

Welcome to the forum it’s a wealth of knowledge. Is ur boat the SF model? What power?
I happen to have a lot of genny experience LOL I’m on my third in 10 years. Mine is located under the cockpit sole aft. This area tends to collect water when getting on plane which the rear bilge pump handles but not fast enough. The genies would get splashed before the pump could empty. This year I made a water tight barrier to the rear of the sound box. A piece of starboard caulked between the stringers with access holes to check oil and change filters works fine.
Also making a 12V dry bilge system on a 12V timer to pump the deepest portion of the bilge dry.
Thanks Capn' T Roamin' Beauty 33'Bert SF 3116 Cats Hyannis MA.
TG²
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by TG² »

Welcome aboard! I'd love to here about the generator installation. A new generator is on our wishlist, maybe next winter. But we'll have to run new wires for it, our existing wires are not salvageable.
Kathy
Top Gun
Beverly, MA
Prater
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Prater »

Thanks for the welcome,

This is the Sport Fisherman model with CAT 3208T engines, aprox 2000 hours. I have read about the water issue with the generator in the aft bilge. I plan to mitigate that once it is out here to the island. I will probably box the stringers and add an extra pump. Generally I would do the generator work myself but I wont be in the States for another year and would really like to have it out to the island within the year...

Planning to replace the AC, anyone upgrade their AC on this model?
Steven Prater
1980 Bertram 33 SF
Kwajalein Atoll, RMI
Capn Tony
Captain
Captain

Post by Capn Tony »

I replaced mine a couple of years ago. Its a cruiseair I’ll check the model number next time i’m At the boat.

I took a pic of the id plate if you send me ur email I'll forward it to you.

Cruisair
MFG # 701116102
Prod # 921042945
16000 BTU
Last edited by Capn Tony on Tue Jan 12, 2021 12:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Thanks Capn' T Roamin' Beauty 33'Bert SF 3116 Cats Hyannis MA.
Prater
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Prater »

Thanks!!!
Steven Prater
1980 Bertram 33 SF
Kwajalein Atoll, RMI
Rick
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Rick »

Welcome aboard Prater!

You're going to love the boat and the more you work on it, the more you'll realize just how solid these boats are.

A couple of guys have exchanged positions of the generator with the water tank. Somewhat of a big project but the genny will never get wet with salt water again.
Rick
Ticket 85 SF Merc 454 MPI's USCG 50T Masters w/ Towing Endorsement
Falmouth, MA
Prater
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Prater »

Rick,

How is the noise level of the generator while at anchor running for the evening?
Steven Prater
1980 Bertram 33 SF
Kwajalein Atoll, RMI
Rick
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Rick »

Steve - I haven’t done it myself and I don’t even have a generator. But a few of the other guys have done it. Mine was rusted and had open windings when I bought it. So I sold it for parts and installed 8D AGM batteries to hold me for weekends
Rick
Falmouth, MA
Prater
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Prater »

I promised my wife good AC while out on the boat so the generator is a must have item... The boat came with a brand new Northern Lights generator, with plumbing and wiring...just have to get it installed. I want to replace the AC too if anyone has a recommendation.
Steven Prater
1980 Bertram 33 SF
Kwajalein Atoll, RMI
Rick
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Rick »

I've replaced my compressor and water pump since I bought the boat in '97 and it just keeps running. On the hottest of days you can turn that cabin into a refrigerator. So if you really need to replace it, I'd stay something close to 16,000 BTU's.
Rick
Falmouth, MA
dougl33
Admiral
Admiral

Post by dougl33 »

I'll bet it gets a little hotter out in the Marshall Islands than it does on the Cape Rick!
Regards, Doug L.
1986 33 Bertram FBC Cummins 6BTA's Queen Elizabeth
Marblehead, MA
Prater
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Prater »

Not too hot, temp stays around 82 year round...Just want to make sure my wife is comfortable!!!
Steven Prater
1980 Bertram 33 SF
Kwajalein Atoll, RMI
Rick
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Rick »

Thanks Steve,

He just likes to be a smart ass every so often, but what the hell, he'll buy you beers from time to time too !
Rick
Falmouth, MA
dougl33
Admiral
Admiral

Post by dougl33 »

Prater wrote: Wed Jan 20, 2021 10:31 pm Not too hot, temp stays around 82 year round...Just want to make sure my wife is comfortable!!!
Sounds perfect!
Regards, Doug L.
1986 33 Bertram FBC Cummins 6BTA's Queen Elizabeth
Marblehead, MA