Bottom Job

Use this forum to discuss all things generally relating to Bertram 33s.
retman
Commander
Commander

Bottom Job

Post by retman »

A few weeks ago I had the boat hauled at Bert's boat yard in Weymouth and had the bottom blasted, faired where required and barrier coated. Two coats of Seahawk multi season paint and relaunched. Kind of pricey but a nasty job to tackle. Very fair on the yard and haul fee's. This is a job I would never consider doing myself, I've done enough boat bottoms in my life. Based on rough calculations I think It helped boat speed about .5-.75 Knots at my usual 3000-3050 cruise rpm. This give me about 19.5-19.8 with full fuel and water, dingy on davits etc. Won't have to touch it in the spring. Only issue was some staining on the hull sides below the tent line. On and Off will remove it as does a product a shown to me a few years ago by a Pro. "The Works" toilet bowl cleaner. Quite a bit less aggressive than on and off and it cleans the streaks too. The outfit that did it will clean the hull and wax before we cover it for the season.
Bill Arnold 1988 33 FBC Merc 454 'Retriever' SOLD
37 DUFFY. Extended House 3126 Cat.
dougl33
Admiral
Admiral

Re: Bottom Job

Post by dougl33 »

That's great Bill. I had mine done a few years ago. It's nice to have a buildup of paint.
Regards, Doug L.
1986 33 Bertram FBC Cummins 6BTA's Queen Elizabeth
Marblehead, MA