Water Heater for Bertram 33 FBC

Use this forum to discuss all things generally relating to Bertram 33s.
Kurt B
Ensign
Ensign

Water Heater for Bertram 33 FBC

Post by Kurt B »

The water heater in our boat when purchased is an A.O. Smith, 2.5 gal residential plug in unit. Recognizing the obvious hazards, I unplugged it and have not used it since we purchased the boat last year. (FYI - we have 454 gassers)

We are day trippers only and typically use the marina shower when we stay on the boat. However, it would be nice to have hot water to wash hands and dishes.

1. Was the original water heater a plug in unit? I prefer Electric only and don't believe a heat exchange connection.

2. Shouldn't the water heater be a direct line connect, not a plug, or wired in a box other than breaker panel?

3. What size is best for occasional?

4. Brand recommendations if allowed here?

Thanks!
1987 Bertram FBC, Twin 454s
Viognier Voyager
Urbanna, VA
lobsta1
Commodore
Commodore

Re: Water Heater for Bertram 33 FBC

Post by lobsta1 »

A 6 gal heater such as a Seaward would serve you well. Don't rule out an exchanger equipped water heater. I've been using them since 1986 & never had the exchanger section fail. The unit is hard wired with the power feed coming right into heater.
Al
1978 33 FBC NITES OFF
PleasureBay
Commander
Commander

Re: Water Heater for Bertram 33 FBC

Post by PleasureBay »

I still have the original hot water heater in my 82SF and it works just fine. Hard wired with a heat exchanger hook up. I believe it is a Raritan.
Jack Van Deman
"Why Knot?" '82 33SF 3208CATS
Little River, SC