Convert to Outboard?

Use this forum to discuss all things generally relating to Bertram 33s.
buzzk
Captain
Captain

Convert to Outboard?

Post by buzzk »

I wonder what it would cost to convert a 33 gas into a 33 with brackets and outboards. I know most of you guys think it would be crazy. I thought I saw a picture of one that was really well done but I can't find it on the web. Maybe I haven't seen one. Does anyone else remember seeing a 33 converted to outboards.
buzzk 1988 Bertram 33 FBC Cummins 6BTA's Buzz Off Morehead City, NC
mouldrp
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by mouldrp »

Buzzk, Look on the Bertram31.com site, there is someone doing that to a Bertram25. It’s under the General Discussions Board.
Richard Mould 1988 FBC - Sheer Folly Greenwich, CT
retman
Commander
Commander

Post by retman »

I remember seeing a 33 FBC a year or so ago that had been converted and was done to the nines. I think it was in the keys.
Bill Arnold 1988 33 FBC Merc 454 'Retriever' SOLD
37 DUFFY. Extended House 3126 Cat.
buzzk
Captain
Captain

Post by buzzk »

If I was younger I would diffidently consider doing a conversion. I loved my 33 but I was tired of inboards not that I ever had issues. In fact nothing runs, handles and fishes like a boat with twin diesels.I would guess that it would cost a couple hundred thousand or more to do a conversion right.
dougl33
Admiral
Admiral

Post by dougl33 »

quote:Originally posted by buzzk I wonder what it would cost to convert a 33 gas into a 33 with brackets and outboards. A shit ton![:D]
Regards, Doug L.
1986 33 Bertram FBC Cummins 6BTA's Queen Elizabeth
Marblehead, MA
h2ojst
Captain
Captain

Post by h2ojst »

I saw that outboard boat in Marathon quite a few years back. Beefing up the transom would be a chore but you'd have lots of storage!!!!!
Joe Tomaini
1988 Sportfish
Attitude Adjustment II
Bath, NC
greysole
Commander
Commander

Post by greysole »

I would think you would want a large outboard bracket added to the transom to add lift and offset all the added weight added so far aft. Otherwise you might have to add ballast midship of some sort make up for the removed engine weight. I'm partial to inboards and their weight down low in the belly.
Gerard FREEDOM 86 SF 454 Merc Green Pond, Falmouth MA
buzzk
Captain
Captain

Post by buzzk »

I hear you on the weight down low and I love the way inboards handle. When I sold my Bertram 33 I bought and restored a 26 Regulator Express. Regulator only built around 40 of the express models. The reason I sold was because I wanted outboards and wanted to be able to trailer the boat. I was tired of boat yards and painting boat bottoms. Plus I didn't have anybody to go out on the boat, now that I sold it I've found some friends that would go with me. I really miss the size of the 33. We don't stay on the boat but with the small cabin to store our gear in, the Reg works great. What I really miss is the generator and AC. Being able to go into the cabin to cool off was nice. A 26 is a little small to install a marine generator. I've even thought about buying a 30' Regulator Express. The biggest problem with moving up in size is not being able to trailer the boat. I keep the Reg on a lift behind my house but like the idea of being able to trailer and I have a trailer for the boat.
PleasureBay
Commander
Commander

Post by PleasureBay »

There was a 33 in Marathon that had been converted to outboard power. I never saw it, but was told about it by the owner of the marina where I was having my 33 painted and serviced in the spring of 2014 when I purchased her. In about 2016 I saw photos of the outboard conversion and the storage space was huge and there were some really great alterations that we could do on our inboards.
Jack Van Deman
"Why Knot?" '82 33SF 3208CATS
Little River, SC
buzzk
Captain
Captain

Post by buzzk »

I would be interested in buying a 33 outboard if I could find one that had already been converted and let someone else take the finical hit. It's not worth the cost for me to do the conversion. Maybe if I was younger and could or wanted to do the work but it would still cost a bunch.