Bertram 33 right boat for loop?

Use this forum to discuss all things generally relating to Bertram 33s.
tranmkp
Ensign
Ensign

Bertram 33 right boat for loop?

Post by tranmkp »

Just joined to ask the question - some nice 33's are out there now. The real question is re-power or not - even with fuel prices low now - is the 33 a sensible boat for the great loop - sure crossing large bodies of water is not a issue - but going distances off plane at hull speed - is that going to work out?? A deep V does not a efficient hull make thanks for any comments
Rick
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Rick »

It's a very seaworthy boat and even if you re-power, you will not be able to touch the value with most boats made today. But I wouldn't use it for the loop unless maybe you're doing it alone. It's just not big enough, I'd suggest the 37 or 42. Rick Ticket 85 SF Merc 454 MPI's Falmouth, MA
Rick
Ticket 85 SF Merc 454 MPI's USCG 50T Masters w/ Towing Endorsement
Falmouth, MA
franklyprice
Commodore
Commodore

Post by franklyprice »

A bigger boat is always more fun to travel on but it depends on your preference. Obviously a fly bridge cruiser will give the most interior room and comfort over the sportfish but I think I could do that sort of trip on mine. Of course once you're on a bigger one, you get spoiled and nothing else will do.. As far as the gas vs diesel, I found myself always doing the math with gas and it was hard to swallow the cost of the gas given the distance I was thinking of going. Now that it's diesel, it's not an issue at all. Not sure everyone thinks like I do but the thought of going into credit card debt for gas was hard to take, with diesel it's small enough I use a debit card.
Frank Price
1987 SF "Jeanne Claire"
Rowley Ma
tranmkp
Ensign
Ensign

Post by tranmkp »

Rick and Frank Thanks for the reply - i was not so much concerned about repower - it was going lower speeds with the Bertram hull. That deep V will cause a lot of drag. I was thinking of re-propping the boat. Just prop for hull speed and sweet spot for what ever engine installation. Does that make sense??
h2ojst
Captain
Captain

Post by h2ojst »

Not that this is anything I would try for fun, but when I broke my port shaft in Georgia on my way up to NC from FL, I decided to run up the ditch on one engine. Made about 10 knots with the current and 8 Kts. against. She handled perfectly and literally sipped fuel. Somewhere around 400 miles and used 1 tank of gas. I never would have guessed our 33's would make good "trawlers" but I was pleasantly surprised.
Joe Tomaini
1988 Sportfish
Attitude Adjustment II
Bath, NC
tranmkp
Ensign
Ensign

Post by tranmkp »

wow - that is good to hear - whats the prop specs - and engine /rpms??
h2ojst
Captain
Captain

Post by h2ojst »

That was running about 1800 - 2000 RPM on one screw. My wheels are 23 X 23, 4 blades. With both engines running, I'd say you'd be about 1500 RPM running 10 knots fully loaded.
Joe Tomaini
1988 Sportfish
Attitude Adjustment II
Bath, NC
justintime2
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by justintime2 »

h2ojst.. so that was about $1000. in fuel at 400 miles?
1987 33 FBC Merc 454
tranmkp
Ensign
Ensign

Post by tranmkp »

1000 bucks for 400 miles is not happy.... Ohh dear....
h2ojst
Captain
Captain

Post by h2ojst »

$2.50/mile sounds better!
Joe Tomaini
1988 Sportfish
Attitude Adjustment II
Bath, NC
tranmkp
Ensign
Ensign

Post by tranmkp »

yes
dougl33
Admiral
Admiral

Post by dougl33 »

Don't re-prop for hull speed results, prop the boat properly so the engines (either gas or diesel) can reach their min max rpms and then shoot for 50-100rpms over that. You can always run a planning hull slowly, but you can never make a displacement hull go fast.
Regards, Doug L.
1986 33 Bertram FBC Cummins 6BTA's Queen Elizabeth
Marblehead, MA
franklyprice
Commodore
Commodore

Post by franklyprice »

I agree with Doug. At around 8 knots the engines will be loafing no matter what the propping is and it doesn't hurt a gas engine to run for hours at , say 12- 1500 RPMs . As long as the temps remain normal all things should be good. I would consider making sure the carbs are working correctly so at those slow speeds it's running as efficiently as possible .
Frank Price
1987 SF "Jeanne Claire"
Rowley Ma
Rick
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Rick »

And don't forget, if you're overloading the engines chances are you're not doing the transmissions any favor either. I agree, prop for WOT. Rick Ticket 85 SF Merc 454 MPI's Falmouth, MA
Rick
Ticket 85 SF Merc 454 MPI's USCG 50T Masters w/ Towing Endorsement
Falmouth, MA