33 FBC Layout

Use this forum to discuss all things generally relating to Bertram 33s.
browny0386
Ensign
Ensign

33 FBC Layout

Post by browny0386 »

Our search continues for a 33 FBC, and we're starting to question whether or not this model will fit our needs. With some of the restrictions waved, I traveled to see 33 FBC in Lake Erie. I wanted to love it, was excited to finally step foot on it/one, but was really disappointed with the amount of space the salon was lacking. This particular boat did have the lower helm, which took up a little room, but there was really no where else for anyone to crash for overnights, and really no seating whatsoever. This boat just had a small 36-40" love seat thing against the back bulkhead.

What are others doing in regards to the layout in the salon? If there is no lower helm, can a decent couch/futon/settee etc. be installed to have room for a third minion to sleep? Anyone modify there to achieve something similar?

This last boat was very disappointing, the overall appearance was crap, hull chalked right out, snaps ripped out of the fiber glass, literally just a mess. That said, I may run out and see a few others if we can figure a layout that will make Mamma happy as well.

lobsta1
Commodore
Commodore

Re: 33 FBC Layout

Post by lobsta1 »

That must have been a pre 1981 B33 which is what I have. In the Nites Off I took out the old dinette set on the stb side & replaced it with a queen size futon with storage drawers beneath. On the port side I have 2 good sized wicker chairs with a coffee table between them. Post 1981 I don't believe any had the lower helm. Bertram carved out space beneath the former helm, moved the hanging closet & pantry to the port side & put in a 2nd bunk bed cabin.
So, look at a couple of them & see if that layout can meet your needs.
Good Luck
Al
1978 33 FBC NITES OFF

browny0386
Ensign
Ensign

Post by browny0386 »

It was actually an 86. Just not seating at all. I’m assuming everything was ripped out.

dougl33
Admiral
Admiral

Post by dougl33 »

Browny,

The 86 came from Bertram with a pullman type sofa (really just a cushy futon). It was long gone by the time I got my boat way back in 2002. The owner at that time had ditched it and had 2 barrel chairs which I hated. A buddy of mine was replacing his full size sleeper sofa so I took his old one and used that for a few years. It worked great. I replaced that with the sectional sofa from an 88 FBC that another owner from here no longer wanted/needed.

I love the layout of my boat and have for the entire time I've owned it.

What kind of seating exactly are you looking for? With all of the pics of boats for sale on Yachtworld, I'm surprised that you were surprised by the interior.
Regards, Doug L.
1986 33 Bertram FBC Cummins 6BTA's Queen Elizabeth
Marblehead, MA

Camano Mike

Post by Camano Mike »

Hi Browny,

My 1987 has a custom L-shaped settee that the previous owner had made. It converts to a double berth and has storage underneath. I built a custom shaped pedestal table that can be removed so you can make up the bed. With a small bar stool, I can seat 5 comfortably around the table, or remove the pedestal and use a small fold up table for snacks and drinks.

Good luck on your search!

dougl33
Admiral
Admiral

Post by dougl33 »

Sounds like a great idea Mike. Welcome aboard. I'd love to see a pic of that.
Regards, Doug L.
Marblehead, MA

Camano Mike

Post by Camano Mike »

[imghttps://photos.google.com/photo/AF1QipPoTVdEOpsOUsN1lWs1a9PfRm1MQB2HGd5dHbG_][/img]

Here is a picture of the table and sofa. Just learning the picture thing. Hopefully it works!

dougl33
Admiral
Admiral

Post by dougl33 »

Doesn't seem like it worked. I've been able to edit guy's pic posts in the past to get them to work, but I couldn't make it work this time. Sorry, I'm out of practice.
Regards, Doug L.
Marblehead, MA