fiberglass tank

Use this forum to post or reply to service related topics like repairs, cleanings, captain services, etc.
tomeeeee
Ensign
Ensign

fiberglass tank

Post by tomeeeee »

I have an '86 with fiberglass tank and have been unable to get anything difinitive as to whether I need to replace the tank due to ethenol. Is there a concensus on this? Thanks, Tom
Rick
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Rick »

Tom, welcome aboard and welcome to the $10,000 question we've all been struggling with. Lots of info in here for you to read up on, bottom line is that it's your call. Start here: http://www.bertram33.com/forum/topic.as ... hichpage=1 Rick Ticket 85 SF Falmouth, MA
Rick
Ticket 85 SF Merc 454 MPI's USCG 50T Masters w/ Towing Endorsement
Falmouth, MA
PHILRAJOTTE

Post by PHILRAJOTTE »

THE BAD NEWS IS ETHANOL ATTACKS THE GEL COAT IN FIBERGLASS TANKS I HAVE BEEN BUILDING ALUMINUM TANKS TO REPLACE THEM AT A STEADY PACE FOR THE PAST YEAR I'M LOCATED ON LONG ISLAND I'VE DONE FOUR B28'S THIS PAST MONTH
dougl33
Admiral
Admiral

Post by dougl33 »

Sorry to disagree Phil, but that's probably not the case. There's still no smoking gun proving all tanks all years are problematic, so please stop posting as such as it only adds to the problem. Also, aluminum is probably not the best material to use as a replacement. What are the years and makes of the boats on the tanks you've replaced? Had they all run ethanol through them? Tom, Do yourself a favor and read through the link Rick posted. I also have an 86 and along with several other members on this site ran several hundred gallons of ethanol last season with zero problems. Regards, Doug L. 1986 33 Bertram FBC Queen Elizabeth Marblehead, MA [img]http://www.bertram33.com/photogallery/p ... sabeth.jpg[/img]
Regards, Doug L.
1986 33 Bertram FBC Cummins 6BTA's Queen Elizabeth
Marblehead, MA
Capt. Ed
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Capt. Ed »

Phil, We understand your concern and desire to help, however Doug is correct. May I suggest that you read this post for more information on the subject. Thanks. http://www.bertram33.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=851
1979 Bertram 33' FBC ALEXANDRA Port Richey, Florida Image BERTRAM PRIDE '07 PLAN TO ATTEND!
BECCA ROSE
Commodore
Commodore

Post by BECCA ROSE »

Tom, first of all don't panic. Read all the posts here about real life experiences with ethanol and Bertrams. Then you can decide what to do, there has been thousands of gallons of ethanol run through some boats with no problems(so far)[:)]. Read all about it here and make a personal decision on what to do. We are all here to help, not cause panic like some. The good news is, there is always a solution!! Bill 1988 33 FBC Ipswich, Ma. > ~------- [img]http://www.bertram33.com/photogallery/p ... a_Rose.jpg[/img]
Bill 1989 33 FBC Cummins 6BTA's ><)))))*> ~------- Image
franklyprice
Commodore
Commodore

Post by franklyprice »

Tom, After you read all you can here about ethanol in your tank, the best thing to do is to look inside the tank by pulling your fuel sender and look inside with a small flashlight just to make sure you don't have any built up crud or any visible signs of deterioration of the gelcoat. If things look good, as they probably will since your boat isn't all that old, just use your boat as normal , keeping in mind what we all have to think about as to water intrusion and phase seperation of the ethanol. The fact is, noone knows how long these tanks will last, with or without the E-10. The failures that have happened are older boats and probably caused by age and the ethanol breaking down an already compromised tank. Because ethanol is a good solvent, it appears that if you have a bunch of compromised resins in your tank prior to the ethanol and then add ethanol, the resins then will dissolve into your engines , causing all the problems everyone is talking about with the older boats.The chances are good that if you don't see any tank degredation now, then you may get several years more out of your tank. Personally I believe the tanks will last about the same , with or without 10% ethanol but the truth is, noone knows yet. We're all part of the larger experiment . The gist of all this is, don't panic, check your tank and then keep an eye on the filters to see if you're getting anything that looks like goo. That's what I'm doing plus, this E-10 crap is pushing me closer to a diesel conversion in the future.
Frank Price
1987 SF "Jeanne Claire"
Rowley Ma
Mike_Lenz
Commander
Commander

Post by Mike_Lenz »

I head that Diesel fuel will soon have Ethanol in it also? That being the case going to Diesel to avoid the deterioration of your fiberglass tank is not an alternative. Has anyone else heard this, fact or fiction? My tank will be ready next week from SP I plan to having it installed sometime in March once I have the bilge painted. Mike.....
dougl33
Admiral
Admiral

Post by dougl33 »

Mike, I have read that its something that's being talked about and has even been tested (with the usual poor fuel economy!). So far I have yet to see pr read anything that has a firm date or answer. Personally, I doubt it would be soon as they can't produce enough ethanol for gas has it is. Regards, Doug L. 1986 33 Bertram FBC Queen Elizabeth Marblehead, MA [img]http://www.bertram33.com/photogallery/p ... sabeth.jpg[/img]
Regards, Doug L.
1986 33 Bertram FBC Cummins 6BTA's Queen Elizabeth
Marblehead, MA
tomeeeee
Ensign
Ensign

Post by tomeeeee »

Thanks to all of you for your thoughts. I ran over 600 gals of ethanol last summer with no obvious problem. I am adding racor filters, gas fume alarm, and will visually inspect inside tank as has been suggested. Tom
IRGuy
Commodore
Commodore

Post by IRGuy »

Re: Ethanol in diesel... I was told that while this subject has been looked at.. there is not enough ethanol manufacturing capacity in the US to come close to satisfying the govt's gasoline/ethanol requirements, and that most likely diesel/ethanol is a long way off. Frank B - IRGuy@aol.com "Phoenix" 1983 FBC Wilmington, NC
Frank B - IRGuy@aol.com "Phoenix" 1983 FBC Cummins 6Bs - 315HP Wilmington, NC