Experiences with Boatpix.com?

Use this forum to post or reply to service related topics like repairs, cleanings, captain services, etc.
Sean B
Captain
Captain

Experiences with Boatpix.com?

Post by Sean B »

Yesterday I was on a day cruise to nowhere during an awesome 82 degree Florida afternoon, and we got buzzed very low by a helicopter with floats that had the Boatpix.com name on them. I've always wanted one of those aerial photos of my Bertram. Thing is, their policy seems a bit suspicious: you send in a request for photos, and they mail you what they have via UPS. If you don't want them for their stated price, you have to return them within 10 days, or you automatically agree to pay their asking price. Whatever that may be. They don't tell you so you don't know how much they want until you receive the photos. I started filling out a request form, but after reading all the legal mumbo jumbo in their Terms and Conditions... I’m not so sure that I want to agree to all their terms. They own the photo, and all you bought was a copy of it. "BOATPIX.com grants Customer the right to privately display the Work at Customer's home or business." That's it. You can't copy it, scan it, or even post the photo on a website without running the risk of getting sued about it. So… does anybody have any actual experience with them? I wonder if they will negociate. If I pay good money for their photo, I want the right to do whatever I want to with the image. Any shared experiences with them will be greatly appreciated. Sean Burlingham "Island Time" 1987 Bertram 33 SF Melbourne, FL [img]http://www.bertram33.com/photogallery/p ... d_Time.jpg[/img]
"Island Time" 1987 Bertram 33 SF 3208T Cats
captgene
Captain
Captain

Post by captgene »

BoatPix is pretty up & up. They have been around for quite awhile. I've been photographed numorus times. In the Keys, Abacos, Bimini , offshre here in Boca. I never sprung for any pix, but some of my friends have. Pricey, but if you get a good ariel shot and like it..why not. Oh byw One guy took ther pix and had it blown up to a huge wall poster. way cool Gene Dugan Boca Raton, Fl. "Nauti Marie" 1989 33 FBC
Gene Dugan Boca Raton, Fl. "Nauti Marie" 1989 33 FBC 2007 8.1 Crusaders SOLD 2000 Pursuit 2870 Offshore Twin 2016 Suzuki 200s
richcatch22
Captain
Captain

Post by richcatch22 »

I got their pics some years back of the last boat, very nice quality shots. I am looking forward to getting them of the Bert as well next time they are around. They send you finished photos, different shots and sizes. You keep and pay for what you want and send the rest back. The policy is basically for personal use. I you want to use them commercially or copy them, I believe that they will sell you the image but a very large price since their operating cost is very high. If they send them to you for review, you are not obligated to buy them. Capt Rich Catch 22 1989 33 FBC
Capt Rich Catch 22 1989 33 FBC Image
Jose Jaen
Commander
Commander

Post by Jose Jaen »

Hi Sean: Last month I bought from them one of three great pictures sent to me. 250 for a 16x20. The entire transaction was conducted just as they promised for which I am pleased. The legal terms are pretty much as you understand them. If you want unlimited use of the pictures you must buy the "digital file" for 500. Pricey perhaps but I don't know of another way to obtain these aereal action photos Regards Jose Jaen "Blue Chip" 1993 33FBC Miami FL [img]http://www.bertram33.com/photogallery/p ... p_Jaen.jpg[/img]
Jose Jaen "Blue Chip" 1993 33FBC Panama City, Panama Image