Intercoastal Trip

Use this forum to discuss anything that doesn't nicely fit into any of the other catagories.
Rick
Commodore
Commodore

Intercoastal Trip

Post by Rick »

Guys - I got a chance to take a trip to St. Pete via Intercoastal in early November. Do you have any good places to visit, places to avoid and anything in general. Always wanted to do this, only prob is it's in a 50' Carver ! Rick Ticket 85 SF Merc 454 MPI's Falmouth, MA
Rick
Ticket 85 SF Merc 454 MPI's USCG 50T Masters w/ Towing Endorsement
Falmouth, MA
dougl33
Admiral
Admiral

Post by dougl33 »

Bring sun glasses and a big hat so no one recognizes you.
Regards, Doug L.
1986 33 Bertram FBC Cummins 6BTA's Queen Elizabeth
Marblehead, MA
Rick
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Rick »

Traveling incognito ! Rick Ticket 85 SF Merc 454 MPI's Falmouth, MA
Rick
Falmouth, MA
IRGuy
Commodore
Commodore

Post by IRGuy »

I haven't done any part of the ICW in the past 2 years, but even then it was shoaling in parts of Georgia and a lot of other places. IMHO a 50 foot boat might find some places rather tight maneuvering. I would try to find current info and plan accordingly. Army Corps of Engineers budgets have been cut so maintenance has been cut back, and the same for the Coast Guard for the inlets. Recognize that on parts of the ICW you are pretty much alone in essentially wilderness if something goes wrong. In early November there might be some southbound traffic so you might have some company. Bring lots of bug repellent and several fly swatters. (Seriously!) Drop me an email with a phone number and I can call you if you want more info.
Frank B - IRGuy@aol.com "Phoenix" 1983 FBC Cummins 6Bs - 315HP Wilmington, NC
PleasureBay
Commander
Commander

Post by PleasureBay »

There is a couple at my marina who travel from Little River, SC to Marathon, FL via the ICW every year in late October/early November returning each spring. They have a 45 ft. Hatteras MY.
Jack Van Deman
"Why Knot?" '82 33SF 3208CATS
Little River, SC
Rick
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Rick »

Thanks guys - we have a Captain that has made the trip several times, so I'll leave the driving to him ! Thanks for Fly Swatter tip Frank, I hope you're not F'ng with me ! We went out in the boat the other day in a 4' chop, I think our boats handle better ! Rick Ticket 85 SF Merc 454 MPI's Falmouth, MA
Rick
Falmouth, MA
IRGuy
Commodore
Commodore

Post by IRGuy »

Rick The flyswatter comment is a serious one. It might have been the perfect season but we were innundated with what resembled the "deer flies" I knew as a kid when I lived in the country on a couple of trips.
Frank B - IRGuy@aol.com "Phoenix" 1983 FBC Cummins 6Bs - 315HP Wilmington, NC
Rick
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Rick »

Frank - We took your advice and already have the fly swatters on board. Best one I've ever owned is an electric zapper one that I bought at Harbor Freight for $3.99 ! Rick Ticket 85 SF Merc 454 MPI's Falmouth, MA
Rick
Falmouth, MA