Public service announcement!!!!!

Use this forum to discuss anything that doesn't nicely fit into any of the other catagories.
lobsta1
Commodore
Commodore

Public service announcement!!!!!

Post by lobsta1 »

GET A COLONOSCOPY! Guys, don't put off or say no one is sticking a camera up my butt. I had my first scope when I turned 55. That was clean. Stretched the 10 year window out to 12 years & went on Feb 29. This one they found a couple of polyps & a frigging tumor in my rectum. Doc operated on Mar 30. & took out what he thought was a T1 tumor. When the results came back from the pathology lab it turned out to be a T2. If I do nothing & go on a 6 month monitor schedule, I have a 25% chance of the cancer coming back. Recommendation was for a complete removal of the rectum & go on a colostomy bag. That reduces the re-occurrence rate to 3%. I'm going for my surgery on June 21. So, if you think it is to embarrassing to have a camera, try an 8" ultrasound probe. By now I must of had about a hundred nurses, technicians & doctors checking my butt out. That's besides after the 1st operation running to the toilet 25 times a day. Finally got the trips down to about 6 per day. Started radiation this week & I'm back down to 2 hours between trips. The kicker is the urgency. I have less than 5 minutes to get my butt on the seat. So your choice is get a colonoscopy or go through what I am doing. Al
1978 33 FBC NITES OFF
Spidermw81
Commander
Commander

Post by Spidermw81 »

Al, I am sorry to hear that you are going through this and I wish and pray for your continued health! Thanks for the reminder and sharing your experience. Best of luck and if you need anything please let us know.
Matt White 1982 33 FBC 3208's
buzzk
Captain
Captain

Post by buzzk »

I too am sorry you're having to go through this and with pray for your recovery. I had my first colonoscopy at 50 and had polyps, since then I've had to have 3 more colonoscopies finding polyps every time. Thank you for the reminder why it is so important.
buzzk 1988 Bertram 33 FBC Cummins 6BTA's Buzz Off Morehead City, NC
franklyprice
Commodore
Commodore

Post by franklyprice »

Yup, My third colonoscopy coming up this month on the 20th. The last time , 3 years ago,they found polyps so I'm all about regular checkups. I can live with the colonoscopies.
Frank Price
1987 SF "Jeanne Claire"
Rowley Ma
retman
Commander
Commander

Post by retman »

Al, good advice as usual. I'm due for my next one this fall. Also, keep a eye on your PSA and don't let your doctor say not to worry until it hits 4. I'm 5 years out and pulling 0's.
Bill Arnold 1988 33 FBC Merc 454 'Retriever' SOLD
37 DUFFY. Extended House 3126 Cat.
dougl33
Admiral
Admiral

Post by dougl33 »

Good luck Al.
Regards, Doug L.
1986 33 Bertram FBC Cummins 6BTA's Queen Elizabeth
Marblehead, MA
Blue Label
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Blue Label »

Good luck, regular check ups and maintenance is not only for the engines.
Eric de Cuba Blue Label 87 SF, 454 Aruba
lobsta1
Commodore
Commodore

Post by lobsta1 »

Thanks for the best wishes. The reason I posted this is because I have an older brother who won't go for one. I figured there are others out there like him that MIGHT be persuaded to go after hearing of my experience. Al
1978 33 FBC NITES OFF
RJC2628
Commander
Commander

Post by RJC2628 »

Hi Al, So sorry to hear of your health issues. It sounds like you are taking all the right steps, and I wish you the best possible outcome.You did all the right things. Ignoring screening and symptoms is a bad plan. I thought I was done 3.5 years ago when I had by open-heart-surgery, but something wasn't feeling right recently as I was jumping off the boat to the dock to tie up singlehandedly. Couldn't be my heart, I got that fixed!! Yeah right ! I am now the proud owner of three shiny new stents in my coronary artery after the vein graft put in there 3 years ago was totally blocked up. Can't wait to see what's coming next. Best wishes, Al !!! Ron and Pat
Ron Callahan
SCOUT 1980 Convertible
Boston, MA
IRGuy
Commodore
Commodore

Post by IRGuy »

Al... Glad see you are facing the health thing straight on. When I turned 50 my family Dr. in Beverly suggested that I start having them done, but he cautioned me that some guys won't have them for any number of reasons. He and I are about the same age, and I asked him if he had them done to him.. he said yes, and I told him if they were good enough for him they were good enough for me. I have had one pretty much every 4 or 5 years since. Stepping back in time, In the early 60s I was a freshman at Northeastern Univ, and on my co-op semesters I lived with some friends in North Reading. I started dating the girl next door, who was a freshman nursing student. We dated for two years or so, but our relationship was sort of "rocky" for lack of a better term. When we finally broke up I was sort of a dick and wasn't very pleasant to her. Fast forward to about 10 years ago. I went into Lahey Clinic in Danvers for a regular 5 year checkup. After going through the admitting process I found myself in a screened off space with a gurney and a small stand up desk. I was laying there watching traffic on Rt 128 when a nurse came in and stood at the desk, and asked my name, date of birth, reason for being there, and similar stuff. While I couldn't see her I heard something in her voice that was familiar. As she inserted the IV needle into my arm I finally realized who she was.. she was the same girl I had scewed over 40 years ago! She had already started my anesthesia when I finally built up enough courage to ask her name.. yep.. the same girl! All I could imagine as I started to get groggy was her going with me into the OR, where she would say to the Dr.. this guy was a dick to me 40 years ago.. stick another two feet of that black hose up his butt as a way for him to remember what he did to me all those years ago. Later I sent her a letter and found out that she felt she hadn't been nice to me during the breakup, so there wasn't any extra hose for me! Talk about co-incidence! I am sending you all the good vibes that I can muster.
Frank B - IRGuy@aol.com "Phoenix" 1983 FBC Cummins 6Bs - 315HP Wilmington, NC
Admin
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Admin »

Al, I had my first last year. Unfortunately, I woke up 15 minutes into the 20 minute procedure... Unpleasant to say the least. On the positive side though, no issues to report.
David Sumich
1986 SF - 33 Megabites
Huntington Harbour, CA
Forum Administrator
greysole
Commander
Commander

Post by greysole »

Al, Thank You for the advice. Hope your situation is improving. Take care.
Gerard FREEDOM 86 SF 454 Merc Green Pond, Falmouth MA
Rick
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Rick »

Good news: I was put on the 10 year program on my last Colonoscopy. Bad news: Time's up, getting mine in November Rick Ticket 85 SF Merc 454 MPI's Falmouth, MA
Rick
Ticket 85 SF Merc 454 MPI's USCG 50T Masters w/ Towing Endorsement
Falmouth, MA