Live Wire

Use this forum to discuss anything that doesn't nicely fit into any of the other catagories.
Rick
Commodore
Commodore

Live Wire

Post by Rick »

I've seen this boat many times out fishing. Squared away looking boat, but you're never squared away enough ! http://www.mvtimes.com/marthas-vineyard ... hp?id=1633 Follow up: I've heard (haven't read)that the problem was an isolator between the two batteries that didn't isolate anymore. Must be a new way to wire up harnesses, but I can't see the advantage. Rick Ticket 85 SF Merc 454 MPI's Falmouth, MA
Rick
Ticket 85 SF Merc 454 MPI's USCG 50T Masters w/ Towing Endorsement
Falmouth, MA
IRGuy
Commodore
Commodore

Post by IRGuy »

Rick... Good post! Thanks. Having been dismasted in a 44' sailboat 150 miles due south of Nantucket several years ago on a passage from Bermuda to MA, I have experienced first hand a situation when preparedness counts! With bad weather predicted to arrive in 12-18 hours and not enough fuel to motor 150 miles, and no radio or GPS antennas (both went over the side since the mast took almost everything off the deck when it sank) we manually activated our 406 EPIRB. When a USCG search plane arrived within an hour we spoke with them on a hand held VHF radio. We had two hand held GPS units and paper charts covering most of the East coast on board. Within 10 minutes after setting off the EPIRB the CG was talking with the owner's wife via land line, asking if she knew if the boat was at sea (checking to see if it might be a false alarm). They sent out a SAR plane who knew where we were, we always knew where we were, and we had battery backup navigation and communication capabilities. A hand held GPS, EPIRB and radio are cheap insurance. As the (Visa card?) ad says.. "Don't leave home without them!".
Frank B - IRGuy@aol.com "Phoenix" 1983 FBC Cummins 6Bs - 315HP Wilmington, NC
Rick
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Rick »

Thanks Frank, EPIRB is about the only piece of equipment that I don't have. Hope to get one this winter, my story & yours only reinforces the fact that I need one. Rick Ticket 85 SF Merc 454 MPI's Falmouth, MA
Rick
Ticket 85 SF Merc 454 MPI's USCG 50T Masters w/ Towing Endorsement
Falmouth, MA