OFFSHORE

Use this forum to post fishing trip results. Please remember to include locations when posting reports.
smanni
Captain
Captain

OFFSHORE

Post by smanni »

Looks like were heading out Thursday into Friday if the weather keeps on track. Baltimore or Wilmington canyon. Lots of tuna reports north of there but the run is further - so well try southern canyons.
jcrootbeer
Commander
Commander

Post by jcrootbeer »

Good Luck! I'm trying to reschedule Friday meetings to do the same. Sat.-Mon looks a little tough. Friday will be the day. I'm hearing the tip of the Baltimore and or Wilmington are both doing well right now. Catch 'Em Up!
'Till Next Hook Up....! Jerry C. "Reel Hard" Cape May, NJ.
smanni
Captain
Captain

Post by smanni »

Friday looks like the weather day and I had the same problem with work. I had to sacrifice a day off tuesday and reschedule a few meetings for bright and early instead of sleeping in - I hope Friday is worth it!
smanni
Captain
Captain

Post by smanni »

Jerry, I read a few reports about the Wilmington but nothing about the Baltimore - where did you get the tip of the baltimore info and do you trust the source? I always prefer the Baltimore, but I want to go where the fish are.
jcrootbeer
Commander
Commander

Post by jcrootbeer »

Got the tip from a charter captain out of south jersey marina. He is on a 18 hour off shore as we speak. I certainly trust his tips, as he makes a living out fishing and word of mouth. As far as him telling me the truth......well, let's say he's not chancing mis-leading me. I'll post here later tonight or first thing tomoorrow after I see how he made out and what he heard.
smanni
Captain
Captain

Post by smanni »

great thanks!!
jcrootbeer
Commander
Commander

Post by jcrootbeer »

Sean, Sounds like the Baltimore was very hit or miss yesterday. About 6 boats were there with only 2 boating tuna. (1 Yellow - 3 Blue Fin between the 2). Plenty of Mahi around the balls and large debris. He was at the Wilmington, North East knotch, lost 2, boated 1 yellow, 2 blue and a long with a very in-experienced bunch of anglers. Hope this helps a little.....good luck!
jcrootbeer
Commander
Commander

Post by jcrootbeer »

PS- All were on the troll with blue and white islanders
smanni
Captain
Captain

Post by smanni »

Thanks for the info - looks like it might be wilmington for us. I am waiting for a report from a friend that is at the Elephant trunk as wel speak. He had some info about some large yft there - well see.
sbeer
Captain
Captain

Post by sbeer »

I'll be heading out on sun to mon to the toms. Great temp break and they are doing well. Let you guys know how I make out. Wheather looks good those days with sat and sun looking like the worst. Mike
Mike Lawrence 81 sportfish 33' shot'n'beer Image
jcrootbeer
Commander
Commander

Post by jcrootbeer »

I'm looking at Sun-Mon also. Hope Sean leaves a few at the Wilmington for me.
smanni
Captain
Captain

Post by smanni »

Ya well - I got screwed. Got to the boat tonight to load up and......I went through my systems check (before we run offshore - I check EVERYTHING). Well I was looking at no load wide open throttle and pulled off the engine covers to notice water SHOOTING from my raw water pump. I figure I blew a seal somewhere, somehow... and every supply store is closed. DAMN. DAMN. DAMN at lower than 2200 RPM - No load - no problem, as soon as I hit 2400 - water shoots from the side (toward the center of the boat off of the Starboard engine). Anyway - I break the news to the crew - Sorry guys. Everyone took off work for Friday so were stuck. Back home now drinking with plans of meeting my mechanic at the boat at 7am to try to repair it. If we get done quick - off to the canyon. If we take a while - its Old Grounds for flounder. Joys of owning a boat..............Maybe I can get a crew together for Sun into Mon if everything runs well.
franklyprice
Commodore
Commodore

Post by franklyprice »

Sean, Take a look at the clamps on the raw water hose. On my boat a few years ago the same thing happened and it turned out to be a hose clamp that had rotted and broke off the inlet to the oil cooler. I can tell you that it will cause a hell of an overheat at 19 knots.
Frank Price
1987 SF "Jeanne Claire"
Rowley Ma
smanni
Captain
Captain

Post by smanni »

I was hoping that was all it was - and the double clamps are new this year. But after checking it is not. It is coming from the actual pump itself. I think it is the actual set screw that seats the impeller inside the pump. That is the only area that I can see water shooting out, but I didnt pull it off since I knew there was no way to get parts tonight. When I first saw it - I thought "no problem - I have extra hose and clamps on the boat". But then I thought "how am I going to tell these guys that were not going anywhere tonight"
sbeer
Captain
Captain

Post by sbeer »

Bummer Sean, sorry to hear the bad news. Sounds like an easy fix though. Hope you get out there on Mon. I just got my Radar back. They did'nt find anything wrong. Check the connection block and found that you can read 12 volts to the plug but when you go to power it up it looses the connection. 3 weeks and a hundred dollars later and all that was needed was a 4o cent connector. Easy fix after the fact, but when I ran out on my last 2 trips with no radar at night, well you know what I mean. Mike
Mike Lawrence 81 sportfish 33' shot'n'beer Image