Cabin Curtains

Use this forum to discuss all things relating to the Bertram 33 Convertible.
Bobjr1261
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Cabin Curtains

Post by Bobjr1261 »

Hello All, Has anyone replaced the curtains in their cabin? A lot of the plastic hardware on mine is broken and getting hung up in the aluminum channel making it difficult to open and shut them. Anyone do blinds? Rhode Island/New England area,1988 FBC Thanks in advance. Bob
1988 33 FBC Cummins 6bta 300 Hp Moon Shine
dougl33
Admiral
Admiral

Post by dougl33 »

Hi Bob, Some guys here have done blinds. I had new curtains made for the original tracks. The tabs can be sourced on line. I'm not a big fan of the blinds as they can bang sometimes while underway though they are far easier to deal with than the curtains.
Regards, Doug L.
1986 33 Bertram FBC Cummins 6BTA's Queen Elizabeth
Marblehead, MA
Kurt B
Ensign
Ensign

Re: Cabin Curtains

Post by Kurt B »

Realizing of course my response is almost 11 mos after the original post, I can't help but comment.

Somewhere in the past history of my boat an owner had mounted blinds to the headers over the windows and they had since been removed. I believe using tabs is the best way to go so the curtains are secure and don't flop around.

I had joined the Sailrite Ultrafeed cult last year when we bought out boat, a standard Singer type or clone, could not handle the task. Since then I had made a forward hatch cover $20, and recently completed construction of our own curtains w/sunblock liner to conserve on AC and prevent the sun from overheating the cabin. I installed them using the sewn in tabs that fit into the upper and lower rails. The cost of curtain materials $350. The cost of the machine has already paid for itself. It was far easier than I had expected. If I could post pictures here, I would.
1987 Bertram FBC, Twin 454s
Viognier Voyager
Urbanna, VA