Know this 33FBC East Moriches, NY?

Use this forum to discuss all things relating to the Bertram 33 Convertible.
ejshaughnessy@aol.com
Ensign
Ensign

Know this 33FBC East Moriches, NY?

Post by ejshaughnessy@aol.com »

I am interested in this boat for sale, wondered if anyone knows the boat. It is at Windswept Marina, not sure about the boat's name. I am in NC, would be a long drive so appreciate any help or information. Thanks, Ed http://www.yachtworld.com/boats/1987/Be ... e=standard listing#.WyJ5ASaWyUl
franklyprice
Commodore
Commodore

Post by franklyprice »

I don't know that boat but I can tell you it's not an '87. By '87 Bertram was using black for the accent stripes and the bare resin color inside the boat was a natural or amber color, not the green that the picture shows. Both of those things tell me it's an '85 or older. Not that it's bad on it's face, just that someone's not telling the truth. Also, I'd question the motors. Any new or remann Cummins motors come with new gauge panels. That boat has a miss matched bunch of old stuff, not a professional repower job. If you had the hull ID #'s , the last two digits will state the year. I would bet they are 85 lower.
Frank Price
1987 SF "Jeanne Claire"
Rowley Ma
Capn Tony
Captain
Captain

Post by Capn Tony »

Great pick Frank
Thanks Capn' T Roamin' Beauty 33'Bert SF 3116 Cats Hyannis MA.
ejshaughnessy@aol.com
Ensign
Ensign

Frank: Thank you very much for your response. I have managed to find some additional information about the boat. Boat name is Violet Rose, USCG number is 906004, HINV is BERH0770F687 I do see what looks like the original gas engine gages, but my old eyes are unable to spot the green bare resin color in the pictures. Would appreciate any other comments you might have on the bare resin picture and about "miss matched bunch of old stuff". Thanks! Ed
dougl33
Admiral
Admiral

Post by dougl33 »

Ed, Can't say that I'm familiar with that boat either. Frank, The tachs in one of the pics only go to 3500rpms, so they're not original for gas. Someone replaced them.
Regards, Doug L.
1986 33 Bertram FBC Cummins 6BTA's Queen Elizabeth
Marblehead, MA
franklyprice
Commodore
Commodore

Post by franklyprice »

Doug, What I said was " miss-matched old stuff" and I stand by that statement. I would question where the engines came from and what the HP ratings are. They are clearly not a factory set of remans or new engines. Ed, in two of the smaller pictures it shows some bare glass, after closer inspection it's possible that it's a repair but it's got a green tint to it. bertram used a green tinted resin on the inside of the hulls up until '85. After that they dropped the coloring and it had a natural look to it. If you were to look at this boat in person, I'd look for that detail among other things. The number you show does say that it's an 87 but it's odd. He may have just changed the stripe color, who knows? When someone repowers a boat, the right thing to do is use the gauges that come with the motors , or if for some reason, like you got used engines, buy new gauges, the whole set. It's foolish to spend the money on any engines and then just replace a gauge here and there to make it work. That said, the price is low and if you could spend the effort and/ or money, it still may be worth getting. Lot's of ifs though. More info on the engines would be helpful.
Frank Price
1987 SF "Jeanne Claire"
Rowley Ma
ejshaughnessy@aol.com
Ensign
Ensign

Frank, Thanks for the clarification on the green tint and additional comments on the engines. I do see the green tint in pictures of the bilge areas. Will ask about repower. Ed
shelms

Post by shelms »

This boat looks exactly like my '83 FBC inside and out. Except the Cummings. Mine has Cats.