Buying FBC

Use this forum to discuss all things relating to the Bertram 33 Convertible.
Janusz

Buying FBC

Post by Janusz »

Hi to everybody, I am new here. I need an advice please. Looking at 1978 33 FBC dual helm and repowered with 2002 Yanmars 315 with 800 hrs now. Assuming the boat is in excellent shape, no tower and almost never fished (no fishing gear)what would be a fair market value of it? Looking at boats offered for sale on internet the asking prices vary wildly,all over the place. Thanks, John
lobsta1
Commodore
Commodore

Post by lobsta1 »

John, I have a 1978 with gas motors. If that boat had gas instead of the Yanmars, I would say to keep looking for a post 1981 FBC. That is when they went to the tournament style bridge & added a second stateroom. Al P.S. I think that era Yanmar had a recall because of valve train failures. I could be wrong but it is something to check on.
1978 33 FBC NITES OFF
jpezzulli
Ensign
Ensign

Post by jpezzulli »

Your engine may have the issue. The recall issue revolved around the valve seals wiping off too much oil from the valve stems. The valves would stick in the guides and get bent by the pistons. Mitigation was simply replacing the valve stem seals. However, apparently only about 10% had the problem. A good yanmar tech should be able to tell. - john