Wanted - Bertram 33 FBC

Use this forum to discuss all things relating to the Bertram 33 Convertible.
dougl33
Admiral
Admiral

Post by dougl33 »

I don't have accurate numbers at troll (because I don't fish), but I do know that in gear @ idle I'm doing 5.5-6 knots at 750rpms. According to the Cummins fuel curve from boat diesel, that's around 1gph per engine. Even if its x2, you've still got plenty of range.
Regards, Doug L.
1986 33 Bertram FBC Cummins 6BTA's Queen Elizabeth
Marblehead, MA
lwrenn
Captain
Captain

Post by lwrenn »

Good question and think with the generator running I would expect around five to ten gallons per hour at seven knots. I do know that on an eight to none hour day with 15 to twenty miles each way to the gulf stream and trolling at 6.5 knots i will burn between 50 to 70 gallons per day. If have to run allot more the fuel usage goes up a bit. I cruise at 12 to 15 knots at 2300 rpms and try to be gentle on the fuel consumption. I don't rely on the fuel gauge but measure my fuel in inches at the returns line on the tank. 26 inches is full and I will burn four to five inches on a full day with similar distances. The only difference is I start to troll at the 15 mile mark instead of 22 as you purpose. I if upped the speed the fuel usage would increase. Bertram rated my boat with cats at a 25 gallon GPH at cruising speed. There numbers fit my burn rate with the speeds I run and the distances. They also rated the 33 FBC max spped as a thirty MPH boat as my memory serves me. As you also know sea conditions will dictate your speed. In the states marine diesel is around 3.50 per gallon so I always try to economical!
Captain Larry Wren 305-360-4900 www.apirateschoice.com Image
buzzk
Captain
Captain

Post by buzzk »

Larry, how many gallons does you tank Hold. I don't understand where the opening into uor tank is to measure the fuel. How do you do that? Thanks Buzz
buzzk 1988 Bertram 33 FBC Cummins 6BTA's Buzz Off Morehead City, NC
lwrenn
Captain
Captain

Post by lwrenn »

The tank is 250 gallons and where the intakes are there is a fitting on the return side that goes directly in to the tank. This is the spot that I dip the tank. When I pulled the fuel intakes for cleaning of the screen I discovered this opening and started dipping the tank as the sender always had a mind of its own. If you want a picture let me know!
JosephMike
Ensign
Ensign

Post by JosephMike »

Iwrenn - Thanks for your reply. The Bertram stats are theoretical numbers - I'm more interested in the real thing. What is your top speed with the CATs?..what is your fuel burn while doing 20knts?. You state that during a 4hr trip the engines burn between 50 and 70 US gallons. Latching onto your info, it takes you an hour to get to the fishing grounds (cruising at 15knts), and an hour to return, so that leaves you with 2 hrs trolling!, is this assumption correct? So in two hours trolling at 6.5knts you're burning between 20 and 40 gallons!...isn't that a bit too much?...I'm just going along with the numbers you provided, even if you're burning 10 gallons an hour, that is still too much. Just for your information, diesel in Malta retails at approx $3.11 per US gallon
buzzk
Captain
Captain

Post by buzzk »

A picture would be great. Thanks Buzz
buzzk 1988 Bertram 33 FBC Cummins 6BTA's Buzz Off Morehead City, NC
photo finish
Commodore
Commodore

Post by photo finish »

Joe, Larry said he runs an 8-9 hour trip, so after the hour out and hour back that leaves him with 6-7 hours of trolling not 2 as you wrote.
Tim Stamm Photo Finish 1981 33' Bertram FBC Image
lwrenn
Captain
Captain

Post by lwrenn »

Correct a 8 to 9 hour trip and a lot of the time if I can find a couple of fish shallow the burn will be forty to fifty gallons. Look at the plate for your fuel pickups, go to the returns and there is a t handle opening that isn't plumbed in that's where I dip the tank. I rarely run at 20 knots and don't know the burn rate. 13 to 15 knots is plenty fast for us as the scenery is pretty nice here. I did have the boat at 22 knots with a clean bottom and very light load. The engines are 270hp and a lot of the time I have 6 to 8 total passenger plus gear so my speeds will be lower along with tower and live well, fish box filled with ice, and way to much gear!. I have pitched the props and added a cup to try and improve the economy but it is what it is. I baby the engines and do not run them hard like a very good friend of mine who is at 18000 hours on his 3208ta's. The 3208ta will give 10000 to 12000 hour service if properly taken care of, thats my goal. I could boost the horsepower as I have read about in this forum but for an extra couple of knots?
No Yacht Yet
Captain
Captain

Post by No Yacht Yet »

Larry Are your friends 3208ta 375hp? What kind of a boat are they in? Brian 1986 Bertram 33 FB Cummins 6BTA'S Seahorse Ellisville Harbor, Ma
Brian 1985 Bertram 42 SF Cummins QSC 600 HP Seahorse Ellisville Harbor, Ma
JosephMike
Ensign
Ensign

Post by JosephMike »

I apologise, my mistake, I read eight to noon, instead of eight to nine!!. I'm also checking the Cummins 6BTA prices in Malta, recon engines. I'm still inclined to go for a gas powered bertram and repower to diesel. I think it works out cheaper. If I do buy one with gas engines, would the gears on the gas paowered engines fit onto the diesel engines?. Also, do you know of a website where I can get marinising equipment to convert the Cummins 6BTA into a marine engine?. The reason being that Cummins engines are big in Malta, practically all heavy trucks and buses in Malta are powered by Cummins, so spare parts isn't a problem, and also knowledge on repairs is available here too. Labour costs in malta are very cheap compared to the US. I could get a yard to take out the gas engines and replace with diesel engines for less then $1,000, and thats including replacing the strouts and fitting in new shafts and shaft seals. I am aware also that I'd need to change the props. My ideal Bertram setup would be to eliminate the lower helm station, and use only the flybridge helm. My only issue is the power to fuel burn ratio. I'm opting for Cummins since a 300HP twin engine setup will still provide about 1gl/1nautical mile, and that while doing 20knts cruising speed. I know, becasue my friend has twin Cummins 375HP on his Bertram, and thats ther recorded fuel burn he gets.
lwrenn
Captain
Captain

Post by lwrenn »

I do know of a nice 33sf with 370 cummins for 96k. Very nice boat! The cheapest I could buy cummins reman from cummings was $22000 each with gears. I see lots of adds for rebuilt engines in the 10 to 15 per engine range. The gears may fit the blocks but the running gear and shafts most likely have to be changed also and the gears mostly will not be rated for the horse power and torque of the diesels.. Plus the usual stuff. I am not sure of the ratio on the gears for gas engines but 1.5 to 1 is good for diesels. I do not know about the conversion parts but do not forget the oil pan. The major difference is the fresh water cooling system and I am sure you can it down. When I was shopping for engines I shied away from the low end rebuilds like the ebay engines as in the end I have learned that you get what you pay for. Brain the 3208ta are in a custom sport fish 40 foot called the DC in Islamorada. Great old boat that catches lots of fish!
dougl33
Admiral
Admiral

Post by dougl33 »

The gears won't work. All the gas boats you look at will have a right and left handed engine. They don't work that way anymore. It will be cheaper to buy a boat already done than to re-power.
Regards, Doug L.
Marblehead, MA
photo finish
Commodore
Commodore

Post by photo finish »

Joe, The lower helm is not in every boat, it was an option and I have seen more boats without it than with.
Tim Stamm Photo Finish 1981 33' Bertram FBC Image
JosephMike
Ensign
Ensign

Post by JosephMike »

I hear you guys. The poor mans approach is not working for me here. For just $20,000 added to my original budget, I could get a decent 33FBC with good running diesels....I need to rethink the buying strategy.
dougl33
Admiral
Admiral

Post by dougl33 »

Joe, I cruise at 23-24 knots at 2400rpms and burn about 20-22gph on my 300hp Cummins 6BTA's. All of the Cummins owners on this board get pretty much the same.
Regards, Doug L.
Marblehead, MA