Kohler 7.3E

Use this forum to discuss all things relating to the Bertram 33 Convertible.
captgene
Captain
Captain

Kohler 7.3E

Post by captgene »

Anybody got one of these besides me? I think Tim Stamm has this one. Anyway it is finally giving me a problem after 9 yrs. Runs all afternoon, air conditioning on, go back home and shuts down going in the canal to the dock. Changed everything, impeller, flushed the heat exchanger. Running nice and cool....just quits. I have 3 thoughts. 1. Bad overheat sensor. 2. fuel pump (elec). 3. Low fuel. Gene Dugan Boca Raton, Fl. "Nauti Marie" 1989 33 FBC 2007 8.1 Crusaders
Gene Dugan Boca Raton, Fl. "Nauti Marie" 1989 33 FBC 2007 8.1 Crusaders SOLD 2000 Pursuit 2870 Offshore Twin 2016 Suzuki 200s
captgene
Captain
Captain

Post by captgene »

That sucks...I wasn't done and it won't let me edit it. So...#2 you would think it would fail and stay failed...can these fail intermittently? And #3...I've never pulled the pickup tube out of the tank. Is this just one tube, one lenghth that feeds engines and gen set? I've had other boats that the gen set pickup tube is shorter so you don't run out of fuel for your engines. Any other suggetions? Gene Dugan Boca Raton, Fl. "Nauti Marie" 1989 33 FBC 2007 8.1 Crusaders
Gene Dugan Boca Raton, Fl. "Nauti Marie" 1989 33 FBC 2007 8.1 Crusaders SOLD 2000 Pursuit 2870 Offshore Twin 2016 Suzuki 200s
lwrenn
Captain
Captain

Post by lwrenn »

I have the Kohler 8eoz and it runs well. The largest problem is the location on the Bertrams as you all know. A constant battle!I have found that NAPA is a lot cheaper for parts on the Yanmar engine. I replaced the starter and it was $130 at Napa.
Captain Larry Wren 305-360-4900 www.apirateschoice.com Image
Rick
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Rick »

Gene, I don't have a genny (wish I did !) but I'd suggest that you hook it up to a secondary gas tank just to eliminate that feed. Electric fuel pump a possibility but every electric pump I've had go bad, just die and never work again. Rick Ticket 85 SF Merc 454 MPI's Falmouth, MA
Rick
Ticket 85 SF Merc 454 MPI's USCG 50T Masters w/ Towing Endorsement
Falmouth, MA
captgene
Captain
Captain

Post by captgene »

I was thinking after I wrote the first note. I remember reading somewhere that this particular engine eats plugs. It is only 2 cyl. , so if one fails, it would shut the thing down. I'll try that first and then run it under load for 4-5 hrs. If it is going to die, it would be sooner than that...you would hope. Gene Dugan Boca Raton, Fl. "Nauti Marie" 1989 33 FBC 2007 8.1 Crusaders
FidelityJim
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by FidelityJim »

Gene: I've been thinking about your problem and I don't think that plugs fail and then are OK the next day. If the genny doesn't shut down when you're running on top and then does when you're back in the harbor it may be that the water intake is clogged just enough that there's not enough water without speed. My company probably made the flame arrestors for Kohler and if you'd like to send me an email describing the circumstances in detail, I'll forward it to the engineers that I've worked with at Kohler and see what they say. Jim Hart jhart@barbroncorp.com FIDELITY: Always Faithful
mikehedb
Commander
Commander

Post by mikehedb »

I have the same generator...it came with the boat, but I have not been able to get it to consistently start, run and put out 120vac. I have been picking at the problems. I was warned by someone else on the dock who has the Kohler to make sure to run it every week, and he advised me to keep extra plugs and impeller oon board as the both tend to fail. I would be interested in all postings regarding trouble shooting this unit.
Mike Hedberg 1977 B33 FBC Sweet Melissa Naples, Florida
captgene
Captain
Captain

Post by captgene »

Okay, all is well again...I hope. First thing I did was change the fuel filter...again. It only had a hour on it, but I may have pinched the seal when I changed it. Could have sucked up some air? Changed the plugs. They didn't look to bad, but were running a little cold. Took the boat out yesterday (gen running under load). It was snotty, rain, lightning, and beat the crap out of everythng for 4 hrs. Still running when I got home. My guess is plugs. Gene Dugan Boca Raton, Fl. "Nauti Marie" 1989 33 FBC 2007 8.1 Crusaders
otf
Commander
Commander

Post by otf »

I have the 7.3e and it is/was the plugs. Twice I have chased things around and around and a simple set of plugs fixes it. Apparently b/c the coild is right next to the plug they run hotter and don't last. They look fine, but only last about a season depending on use. With the sound shield on it stays pretty dry.
Scott 1983 Bertram 33 FBC Andiamo