Fuel Tank Dimensions??

Use this forum to discuss all things relating to the Bertram 33 Convertible.
tmarshall
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Fuel Tank Dimensions??

Post by tmarshall »

Hey I know there are litteraly hundreds of posts on here regarding fuel tanks: materials, setups, fuel types, dimensions, best ways, worst ways, etc. The only dimmensions I can find are for a 33' 1975 SF. I have a 33'83 SF that is going to need to have a tank job done soon. I am trying to find the proper dimensions for my boat. is the 75 the same as the 83???? Also, why doesnt anyone consider Polyethylene tanks? Is it the cost associated with having molded poly tanks custom made? Are there disadvantages to poly. It seems the obvious choice on the forum is $tainle$$. Anyway thanks for everyones help. This forum has been a lifesaver from the day I brought home my Bertram.
dougl33
Admiral
Admiral

Post by dougl33 »

Thom, Bertram didn't start making the 33SF until 1979. I don't think the dimmensions ever really changed on the SF. Rick re-did his 1985. That should be exactly the same.
Regards, Doug L.
1986 33 Bertram FBC Cummins 6BTA's Queen Elizabeth
Marblehead, MA
lobsta1
Commodore
Commodore

Post by lobsta1 »

Thom, Due to the expansion factor & lack of baffles in a roto-molded product I would think you would have to split into two tanks. (Which I think is a good idea anyway) Then you also have the problem of gas fumes permeating through the tank walls. It would never get to a dangerous level. The odor would just be objectionable. I think the cost would also be prohibitive. I searched out Rick's thread on his tank. His is an 85 sportfisher. Al http://www.bertram33.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=883
1978 33 FBC NITES OFF
schultz
Commander
Commander

Post by schultz »

At one point during the height of the fuel tank issue, High Tide Marine posted they had tank replacements available in stock. I checked the site today and disovered they have taken the listing out of their site. It makes me wonder why.
Cliff Schultz 1983 33' SF Cummins VT 555's "Final Approach" Image
mikehedb
Commander
Commander

Post by mikehedb »

I contacted High Tide by phone and asked them about a replacement fiberglass tank for my 1977 B33 FBC, they advised me that they did not have a replacement tank available for the 33, and suggested that I have one built in aluminum or stainless. I haven't done either yet as our SW Florida marinas are not currently selling ethonol blend fuel. Mike Hedberg 1977 FBC Sweet Melissa Naples, FL
Mike Hedberg 1977 B33 FBC Sweet Melissa Naples, Florida