wiring schematic

Use this forum to discuss all things relating to the Bertram 33 Convertible.
Justinf89
Commander
Commander

wiring schematic

Post by Justinf89 »

I was wondering if anybody has an original wiring schematic for a 1977 bertram 33 convertable. I would like to correct all the wiring on the boat. Thanks.
Justin Fortin 1977 33' FBC Norfolk, VA "Susie Q"
IRGuy
Commodore
Commodore

Post by IRGuy »

Justin... When I started to rebuild "Phoenix" I thought it would be best if I simply copied the original wiring drawings I was given by someone here. There are a couple of original Bertram 33 wiring diagrams for different years available from some of the regulars here, and I suspect when they read your request they will respond. I don't know the condition of your boat, but when I started to plan my 12 volt system wiring upgrades three years ago I broke things into three different systems.. The first I tackled was the large 12 volt starting and house battery systems. This essentially is all the heavy wiring in the engine room.. and when I looked at trying to simply replace what was there item for item, I realized that was not the best or easiest way to go. The old heavy screw in glass fuses are no longer available, someone in the past had made changes to the wiring that I felt were wrong and poorly executed, I wanted larger battery banks for starting each engine and house/generator starting power, and I wanted more separation between the starting and house power batteries. I also wanted to upgrade the systems to as much as possible current safety standards. The wiring in our boats is 25-30 years old, and was installed based on assumptions and on board equipment that were fine when they were new, but with so many more things consuming 12 volt power today new systems based on modern components and modern electronics make more sense. So, I eventually wound up designing and installing a completely new main 12 volt system in the engine room. If you go to the Owner Tips section of this forum you can find my writeup of the whole system, from battery selection to wire terminations. As far as the smaller wiring going to and from the 12 volt side of the electrical panel in the main cabin is concerned, I first removed all the unused wiring. There was a lot of installed wiring that had been taken out of service for one reason or another, but never removed. Some of it, both 12 and 120 volt, was still hot (a scary thing to find!), with some bare wire ends exposed. I also removed all the wiring and components for old systems that I will replace (the radar, the old GPS, two fishfinders, two VHF radios, electric head, stereo system, cockpit lights, cabin lights, etc, etc). My plan is to add the appropriate sized new wiring as the rebuild proceeds. I did leave in place some of the usused wiring running between the flybridge and cabin, since this has to be snaked through the tube that comes through the cabin overhead into the top of the panel cabinet. I rung out all this wiring, and labeled it as spare for future use. There really isn’t a whole lot of 120 volt wiring in the boat, so I have put new terminations on the existing wire and used the wire pretty much as it was installed by Bertram.. in fact, some of this wire is oversized based on current standards. I have added some new duplex outlets, but the wiring for the original galley outlets, cabin outlets, stove, refrigerator, and head and forward cabins does not need to be replaced, just cleaned and refastened. I also write on both ends of the wire where it comes from and goes to, so future changes can be made easily. So, in a nutshell, I think trying to upgrade your wiring while following exactly the original Bertram diagrams will not be easy, or even appropriate if you want to have a modern system. If you have any questions about the above feel free to drop me an email.
Frank B - IRGuy@aol.com "Phoenix" 1983 FBC Cummins 6Bs - 315HP Wilmington, NC
lobsta1
Commodore
Commodore

Post by lobsta1 »

Frank,if the SUSIE Q is anything like NITES OFF, the wiring from Bertram is a horror show!!!!!. Justin, do you have all the terminal strips under the stb side where the lower helm goes, if you have one? If your boat is like mine, then all the terminations are by way of slip on "Stake-ons" NOT ring terminals. If you just sneeze in there then wires start popping off. Now you have the nightmare of trying to figure out where the loose wires came from. Justin, a few years back I made a copy of the wiring for Gunny on this board. I think he goes to Hawaii for the winter. If he is back in Maine, hopefully he will check in & maybe he can run you off a copy. If not, you will have to wait a few months until I can get to my boat & bring the manual home & then get my scanner going again. Al
1978 33 FBC NITES OFF
richcatch22
Captain
Captain

Post by richcatch22 »

The manual and wiring schematics are availble on this site. They where copied from a 89 original set. http://www.bertram33.com/manuals/12vdc_schematics.zip http://www.bertram33.com/manuals/120vac_schematics.zip
Capt Rich Catch 22 1989 33 FBC Image
IRGuy
Commodore
Commodore

Post by IRGuy »

Has anyone here compared the above '89 versions to earlier or later years to see if there are major differences?
lobsta1
Commodore
Commodore

Post by lobsta1 »

I just looked at the 1st two 12V schematics. They are from Mars, our older Berts are from Venus. I did not even bother to look at the rest. Al
1978 33 FBC NITES OFF
IRGuy
Commodore
Commodore

Post by IRGuy »

Thanks Al.. I thought so. As I said above.. I went my own way and am adding new wiring as I see fit without any regard for Bertram's original arrangement. For instance, I have run two main power sources from the cabin panel to the flybridge, and will put two subpanels there to power instruments, running lights, the horn, etc from there. This frees up a lot of breakers in the cabin panel, but makes things simpler IMHO.
buzzk
Captain
Captain

Post by buzzk »

If I was rewiring my boat, I would go the way Frank went. By going your own way you can do a much better job. Buzz
buzzk 1988 Bertram 33 FBC Cummins 6BTA's Buzz Off Morehead City, NC
richcatch22
Captain
Captain

Post by richcatch22 »

The wiring diagrams on the site are from a 89 and are perfectly accurate, I have used them many times and are extremely helpful. I would think they should help for years around 89. Earlier years could be very different. I would encourage anyone who has good quality originals, like mine, to post them. I will help out if necessary.
Capt Rich Catch 22 1989 33 FBC Image
dougl33
Admiral
Admiral

Post by dougl33 »

Rich, I think Al was just pointing out that the schematics won't help on any of the older boats (probably pre-1980) as the panel is in an entirely different location.
Regards, Doug L.
1986 33 Bertram FBC Cummins 6BTA's Queen Elizabeth
Marblehead, MA
mikehedb
Commander
Commander

Post by mikehedb »

I have an original wiring diagram for my 1977 33FBC which came with the boat when I bought it in April. I have used it to sort out some of the wiring modifications made to the boat over many years. Everything is now working, but there are still a lot of wiring issues I need to address. I can photocopy and mail you a copy or try to scan it. I'm not a sophisticated computer user, but I can give it a shot. Mike Hedberg 1977 33 FBC "Sweet Melissa" Naples, Florida
Mike Hedberg 1977 B33 FBC Sweet Melissa Naples, Florida
Gunny
Commander
Commander

Post by Gunny »

Justin, Al made me copies of his and they are on the boat in Maine! I Won't be back till April but would be glad to make you a copy at that time,Let me know? HAPPY NEW YEAR TO ALL!!
Gunny "GUNNY D" Jim Davis Belfast Me Image
Donmystic1
Commander
Commander

Post by Donmystic1 »

I am doing the wiring in my 33 SF and have found many added / loose circuits. I have taken my digital camera into the bilge area where the batteries are and have snapped many photos of the switches etc. I replaced the old Raritan charger with a new 3 bank Guest solid state converter. took out the old paper fuses and brackets to start. I probably have 20 lbs of discarded wires now. I can't wait to get into the control panel. Have a Happy New Year.
1987 33-SF
IRGuy
Commodore
Commodore

Post by IRGuy »

Donmystic1... If you are planning on redoing the heavy switch/fuse panel between the engines take a look at my writeup in the Owner Tips of this forum.. I removed everything and designed/built a complete new panel for all the heavy stuff in the engine room, plus feeds to the rest of the boat. If you have any questions drop me an email.
Justinf89
Commander
Commander

Post by Justinf89 »

Wow guys, thanks for all the help. I do have a lower helm and that's where most of my problems are. I have removed most of the unused wires but I too have the problem of the loose terminal blocks on the back wall, looking underneath the helm from the front. First of all, they are hard to get to, and half of the wires have fallen off and shifted. Gladly I do not have any old style glass fuses, only the circuit breaker panel and the few at the step of the door. Re Mike H. I would love to obtain a copy from you as you have the exact same boat. I will be more than happy to pay for any labor/copying/shipping fees if necessary. My email address is justinf89@gmail.com if you would like to contact me there. Thank you. Hope everybody has a great new year and a prosperous 2010!
Justin Fortin 1977 33' FBC Norfolk, VA "Susie Q"