engine compartment insulation and Heat Exchangers

Use this forum to discuss all things relating to the Bertram 33 Sportfisher.
Capn Tony
Captain
Captain

engine compartment insulation and Heat Exchangers

Post by Capn Tony »

Howdy folks,
I'm giving my heat exchangers some needed TLC. Last summer I back flushed both engines with barnacle buster something I do every 500 hrs' or so. I noticed the heat exchanger bonnets and the undersides of the exchangers needed attention. Yesterday I pulled both heat exchangers and glad I did. The bonnet (end caps) bolts were impossible to remove no amount of heat or pressure worked so I intentionally snapped the heads and will drill out the stubs and retap. Thought I'd mention that the bonnets are made of some kid of plastic that warps from a build up of rust on the edge of the heat exchanger housing. I ordered new bonnets orings and seals from Cat which been upgraded (let's see how when they arrive). I will also file down the rust and re-face the heat exchanger. There is no longer a gasket between the bundle the housing or the bonnet and the housing all switched to seals and orings. Going to be able to get a coat of fresh paint on the front of the engine and all parts related to the exchanger.
Didn't mean to ramble on with the heat exchanger my purpose originally was to get suggestions on engine compartment insulation. I re-did my engine boxes some years ago but thinking of re-doing them again or at least sprucing them up in certain areas.
Has anyone done theirs recently? What did you use or what do you suggest?
Thanks Capn' T Roamin' Beauty 33'Bert SF 3116 Cats Hyannis MA.
Rick
Commodore
Commodore

Re: engine compartment insulation and Heat Exchangers

Post by Rick »

Hey Tony,

I used "Sound Down" and it works really well. They are in Salem, MA and sell it in 4' X 8' sheets. For mine, I used the 1" thick material and it's still holding nicely. You could probably use a little thicker but the caveat is that it adds weight to your engine boxes. Not so much that they're difficult to work with, but it's definitely noticeable. So you don't want to go too thick.

There was a posting for the project here that I put up with some pictures but I think it's gone now. But I'll be happy to send you some if you want to see what's involved. You basically clean the inside of the boxes, one of mine was covered with some old glue from the original sound proofing and I had to clean it with a grinder that had a steel brush attachment. But the rest cleaned up nice with acetone.

Then you install the proofing and it's not hard at all. You will definitely notice a big improvement. Come by Falmouth anytime and I'll show you the setup.

I'll see if I can figure out how to post pic's here again but I know it's not easy.
Rick
Ticket 85 SF Merc 454 MPI's USCG 50T Masters w/ Towing Endorsement
Falmouth, MA
Rick
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Rick »

Rick
Falmouth, MA
Capn Tony
Captain
Captain

Post by Capn Tony »

Thanks Rick
Let me get the heat exchangers done this week. Ill get back to you on the sound down.
Rick
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Rick »

If you've got an email address, I can send pic's and procedure...
Rick
Falmouth, MA
Capn Tony
Captain
Captain

Post by Capn Tony »

Rick,
You can use this email thebarnacle@comcast.net.
New heat exchanger end caps are in the bundles soaked and cleaned . Working on the housings cleaning up the ends, drilling and tapping the bolts before painting and assembly.