Wisdom from the 33 SF Owners

Use this forum to discuss all things relating to the Bertram 33 Sportfisher.
NavyJack
Ensign
Ensign

Wisdom from the 33 SF Owners

Post by NavyJack »

Hello, my name is Jack. I live on the Texas Gulf Coast and I am new to this forum. The Admin was gracious enough to allow me to ask for wisdom from existing 33 SF owners (thank you!).

I am most impressed with Bertram's reputation and the design of the 33 SF. I am strongly considering purchasing a 1984 SF with CAT 3208s (275 hp each). I have done some homework on Bertram Yachts and the 33 in particular, but the reviews and reports provide a limited amount of the information that I would like to know.

I would like to hear from you to find out what challenges and conditions that are specific to the 33 SF that I should look out for while shopping for my Bertram. Are there any conditions with Bertrams in general of which I should be aware? Is the Mk I (1979-1985) or the Mk II (1986-1992) more desirable and why?
franklyprice
Commodore
Commodore

Re: Wisdom from the 33 SF Owners

Post by franklyprice »

Hi Jack,
As an owner of one of the later versions I can tell you my perspective on my boat.
There really don't seem to be any design flaws, it's more how you plan to use your boat which should help make your decision as to the later vs earlier question. For '86 Bertam moved the aft bulkhead back by about 1.5 ft which took a little engine access away but allowed them to reconfigure the cabin. The interior on the late boats has a nicer head with a stand up shower, which was a huge selling point for me. I can't vouch for how much more room it has in general because I've never spent much time in the prior version.
Of course there are the other things that Bertam changed across the 33 line in '86 that I see as pluses, black accent striping instead of blue, 1.5" prop shafts instead of 1. 3/8" , black window trim instead of silver. I'm sure I'm missing a few things but these are what come to mind.
Frank Price
1987 SF "Jeanne Claire"
Rowley Ma
NavyJack
Ensign
Ensign

Post by NavyJack »

Thank you for your reply and the information, Mr. Price. I really appreciate the help. I did not realize that they changed the diameter of the propeller shafts in the newer version - I am actually a little surprised at that. The salon layout with the settee is very nice and the relocation of the head allows for better head space, I can imagine.

Do you have any challenges maintaining your engines or working in the engine compartment with regard to accessibility or clearances?
franklyprice
Commodore
Commodore

Post by franklyprice »

It can be a bit tight doing any kind of raw water pump maintenance , other than that it's not an issue . Of course I have inline engines, the 3208's I imagine are more difficult to maintain in just about any situation.
As far as shaft sizes go, I could be mistaken on the diesel shaft size, it may have stayed the same after '86. Seems like my info stated that but it's been a long time.
The reason for the shaft size increase on the gas engines was that Bertram had changed the ratio on the transmission to 2.5-1 and increased the prop diameter in '86 so it increased the loading on the shafts.
Frank Price
1987 SF "Jeanne Claire"
Rowley Ma
NavyJack
Ensign
Ensign

Post by NavyJack »

I bet the available space for the 3208s is smaller. I appreciate the information on the prop shafts.

This seems like a "low profile" boat (excluding any marlin or tuna towers). Has anyone had any challenges with insufficient freeboard on the 33 SF? Are the gunnels tall enough? (above the knee, mid-thigh, near hip)? I am trying to picture what leaning over the side to address a fish would look like. Any information would be appreciated.
franklyprice
Commodore
Commodore

Post by franklyprice »

gunnels are pretty high. Filling a 5 gal bucket with seawater is a challenge because the sides are so high. You'd have to be trying real hard to fall out. Alcohol may have to play a part.
Frank Price
1987 SF "Jeanne Claire"
Rowley Ma
Rick
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Rick »

Plenty of Freeboard on these, I built steps to climb over the gunnel for entry and our docks are about a foot above the water.
Rick
Ticket 85 SF Merc 454 MPI's USCG 50T Masters w/ Towing Endorsement
Falmouth, MA
NavyJack
Ensign
Ensign

Post by NavyJack »

Great information on the gunnels. I really appreciate it.

The broker that I spoke to expects that this boat and engine configuration will supply a mid-20's cruise speed with a mid-to-high teens fuel consumption rate (burn rate). Since he did not have specific information, do you have information about the burn rate and cruise speed?
franklyprice
Commodore
Commodore

Post by franklyprice »

I haven't heard of that much cruise speed from the old Cats, more like maybe 20 kts. Could be less depending on the condition of the turbo housings. Fuel burn should be around 20 at that speed, maybe a touch more, again depending on condition of those turbos. The exposure to moisture over the years tends to erode the space around the exhaust wheel, thus reducing the boost. Apparently because of the age of the engines and the fact that they're cats, there doesn't seem to be a realistic replacement. I could be wrong, things change so it's worth it for you to do a little homework on these.
Frank Price
1987 SF "Jeanne Claire"
Rowley Ma
PleasureBay
Commander
Commander

Post by PleasureBay »

Jack,
I have a 1982 33SF with 270 CATS 3208 @ 2000 hrs. I cruise 17- 20 knts and top speed 23.5 - 25 knts. My boat has a hardtop, full bridge curtains, and a marlin tower with a hard top. My last trip I ran 5-6 hours at cruise and burned right at 120 gallons. There were propably a few short trips at cruise speed or less maybe an hour total in addition.
Jack Van Deman
"Why Knot?" '82 33SF 3208CATS
Little River, SC
captxmas62
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by captxmas62 »

Navy jack,
Welcome, although my boat is a gasser and not a diesel, I can offer a little advice.
The hull is incredible and can handle so much more snot than the crew. I have owned my 1989 SF since 2012 and after 2 sets of engines and a whole lot of hours, it has always brought me back safe and usually ahead of everyone else.
The later years boats (86-90) have a much bigger and well laid out cabin, with a separate, stand up shower. It is very comfortable for a long weekend with a couple of people.
The main issues I have encountered are:
1) Don't even try to keep the generator dry and rust free, due to its location, it is impossible. Mine has made a wonderful mooring. I now use a 2500 watt Harbor Freight portable. Maybe someday I'll get another built in, but it will have to be in a waterproof enclosure.
2) The later years boats have a larger cabin, but much smaller engine boxes, making routing engine maintenance a little tight. Removing and putting in engines is an art form, of which I learned all too well, with previous issues.
3) Depending on you and your partners, nighttime cabin antics, the head height in the Vee Berth is a little on the low side. I know TMI, but I'm giving you the straight info!
This is my 3rd Bertram and by far my favorite!
Enjoy the boat and the info available on this site.
All the best,
Jim
Capt. James R Noel USCG 100T Master 1989 33' Sportfish Branford, CT