Tach's

Use this forum to discuss all things relating to the Bertram 33 Sportfisher.
Rick
Commodore
Commodore

Tach's

Post by Rick »

Thought I'd take the opportunity to take this new site on a test ride !

It's time for me to replace my tach's. I've already got the new ones (Faria Chesapeake's seem to match my panel the best) and now the question is: Do I climb underneath and replace from the bottom or do I lift the instrument panel off the console for easier access ?

There's not too many wires and I'm thinking to just climb underneath...has anyone done this before ?

In case my trailer has been wiped, I have a '85 SF.

Thanks !
Rick
Rick
Ticket 85 SF Merc 454 MPI's USCG 50T Masters w/ Towing Endorsement
Falmouth, MA
lobsta1
Commodore
Commodore

Re: Tach's

Post by lobsta1 »

Rick,
I think a person of your size would be better off lifting the panel. You KNOW while you're all contorted in there you will need another tool or you will drop one of the retaining nuts. :D
Al
1978 33 FBC NITES OFF
dougl33
Admiral
Admiral

Post by dougl33 »

Welcome back boys.

With the tournament helm, I'd think it'd be easier to remove the foot panel and tackle it from underneath.
Regards, Doug L.
1986 33 Bertram FBC Cummins 6BTA's Queen Elizabeth
Marblehead, MA
Rick
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Rick »

What are you saying, that I won't be able to reach the connections because I'm too small ? Lol !

A question along the same line, does anyone know what kind of putty that's under the panel that secures it to the console ? Is it Sugru ?
Rick
Falmouth, MA
Rick
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Rick »

Welcome back Doug !
Rick
Falmouth, MA
franklyprice
Commodore
Commodore

Post by franklyprice »

Tough one Rick. I would think that to replace them you might want to remove the panel, then for any small stuff you might do from underneath. It's not really all that tough to remove but either way not too bad a job. I assume they'll need to be calibrated? That will be fairly important to get right. I have a hand held digital tach but it is loaned out right now and I'm not sure I'll ever see it again.
Frank Price
1987 SF "Jeanne Claire"
Rowley Ma
Rick
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Rick »

Thanks Frank - I really can't get under there right now as the cover is wrapped tight to the top of the help, but the cover is coming off soon ! I'll take a look one more time and see how bad, I think it really depends how wires are in the way.

I didn't think about calibration ! But good point. That can probably be done easy enough after already installed, I've got a good mechanic who will loan some of tools and I'll ask him about loaning his hand held tach. But I'm going to install them on the hard and calibration will have to wait.
Rick
Falmouth, MA
h2ojst
Captain
Captain

Post by h2ojst »

Rick, Plenty of room under there once you remove the foot rest. Just put a throwable cushion under there before you start. (You'll thank me later)
Joe Tomaini
1988 Sportfish
Attitude Adjustment II
Bath, NC
Rick
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Rick »

Hi Joe !

Hope this finds you well. I agree, there's lot's of room under there but I decided to pull the panel and got it done today. You know, it's amazing how good the condition is of the wiring after all these years. It was like working with new wires and the connections were clean as a whistle.

So now I have to figure out what that dark, soft putty is that sealed the panel to the console. Anyone know ?

Guess I can always use black life seal....

Great to hear from you !
Rick
Falmouth, MA
franklyprice
Commodore
Commodore

Post by franklyprice »

Rick, maybe not exactly the same but you can use dum dum, or the other actual name is strip caulk. 3M makes it for one and you should be able to find it at a napa store or maybe even an O'reilly's
Frank Price
1987 SF "Jeanne Claire"
Rowley Ma
h2ojst
Captain
Captain

Post by h2ojst »

I take that footrest out fairly often so I used an old radio control servo box trick. You just use a clear life seal or silicone around the edge of the footrest then I tape wax paper on the console side. Screw it in place but not all the way so you create a gasket. The next day, remove the wax paper and you have a nice silicone gasket. I've had it on mine for ten or so years and it still seals great and I can take the rest on and off with no fuss.
Yeah, it's unbelievable how good the wiring actually looks. They used a nice sealer on all the terminals also.
Joe Tomaini
1988 Sportfish
Attitude Adjustment II
Bath, NC
Rick
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Rick »

Thanks guys

Frank, I'll take a look at Napa when I go pick my spark plugs

Great idea on the wax paper Joe. I'll try that when I put the footrest back in. It was a little easier removing the instrument cluster panel because the tach's are on top and I really didn't want to disturb any wires. Removing the cluster gave me unobstructed access. But it's that cluster panel and it's goopy seal that I was asking about.

Thanks for the help boys, I just ordered some bulbs to replace in a few of the instruments before I re-install. Will let you know what I ended up with.
Rick
Falmouth, MA
Rick
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Rick »

My first attempt at posting pic's, so here it goes...

Since I replaced my tach's, I have one of the old Det-Mar's that still works and is in good condition. FREE to anyone who might need it, you pay shipping.

[img]Ticket_Tach/img]
Rick
Falmouth, MA
Rick
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Rick »

Rick
Falmouth, MA
Rick
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Rick »

Guess I need help w/ pic's but if it's something that's being worked on it can wait.
Rick
Falmouth, MA