New windlass

Use this forum to discuss all things relating to the Bertram 33 Sportfisher.
Capn Tony
Captain
Captain

New windlass

Post by Capn Tony »

Hi all, I am installing a new Anchor Lift windlass model Mako. The boat never had a windlass so I'm not sure how much anchor rode will fit in the compartment. I'd like to go with as much 5/8 line as possible with 20ft of chain. suggestions welcome.
Thanks Capn' T Roamin' Beauty 33'Bert SF 3116 Cats Hyannis MA.
Rick
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Rick »

Tony, This will become the best thing you ever added to your boat. I can't thank Al Lupone enough for helping me with mine, it's made a huge difference in both fishing and good old boating. He helped me install it in 2011 and outside of a problem I had with the windlass itself, the setup has been flawless. I used Defender item # 001517 It's: 20' of 5/16" G4 Chain spliced to 225' of 5/8" 8 Plait Line. The anchor locker could store a little more but not much and I've never needed more than that. I'd say the locker is about 2/3rds full and once every 3 years or so when I'm in heavy chop the weight of the line will open the locker door and spill into the V-Berth. But it's no big deal to restore it. The project was documented here but a search couldn't find it. You're more than welcome to see my setup here in Falmouth. Captain Rick Ticket 85 SF Merc 454 MPI's Falmouth, MA
Rick
Ticket 85 SF Merc 454 MPI's USCG 50T Masters w/ Towing Endorsement
Falmouth, MA
Capn Tony
Captain
Captain

Post by Capn Tony »

Thank you Rick Working on making the spacer or shim for the roller as the last step of the install.
Rick
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Rick »

3 pieces if 1/2� starboard should do it Captain Rick Ticket 85 SF Merc 454 MPI's Falmouth, MA
Rick
Falmouth, MA
retman
Commander
Commander

Post by retman »

Tony, at the Newport show all the manufactures said if the rope locker did not have enough 'fall' distance they recommended a horizontal windlass.
Bill Arnold 1988 33 FBC Merc 454 'Retriever' SOLD
37 DUFFY. Extended House 3126 Cat.
Rick
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Rick »

Another thing and Al turned me onto this too, is the cabling. It'll be the second most expensive part of your project. I used: https://www.genuinedealz.com Very friendly, good pricing, quality cables and they mount whatever you want for connectors. I used the Lewmar Profish 1,000 Freefall and it spec'd no more than 70 feet round trip from the batteries. I needed 68 feet to get around all the corners and bulkheads.
Rick
Falmouth, MA
Capn Tony
Captain
Captain

Post by Capn Tony »

The windlass is an Anchor Lift Model is Mako I pulled all the wire over the winter 2Awg tinned from Jamestown 50 ft of red and 50 ft of black did the trick. It was a bear to pull from the bow down the stbd side to the batteries but it finally found its way. I used 3 wire for the bridge switch and foot pedals. Getting to the bridge was easier since I always leave a string for future wires. The compartment measures 24 inches from top to bottom. John at Anchor Lift said that is more than sufficient for a good drop. Thanks for the starboard tip Rick
Rick
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Rick »

Sounds good Tony, you're going to love having it
Rick
Falmouth, MA
retman
Commander
Commander

Post by retman »

Rick, you said you had a problem with the windlass. Would you recommend that brand/model?
Rick
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Rick »

Bill, You know how sometimes you retrieve your anchor and it is caked with mud. What happened was I retrieved it full of mud one time, so I put it in the "Free-Fall" mode, sunk it into the water - retrieved - repeated until the mud was gone. What happened was I bent the drive shaft of the windlass. They covered it under warranty but I had to deal with a place on Long Island who was a subcontractor and a bit of an ego maniac. It was a windlass no-no but I was new to it and there was absolutely nothing in their manual about releasing it to get mud off. Since having it repaired, the free-fall option has not worked properly but it's no big deal. You can easily let out line from the housing and you have to be up there to tie off anyway. Another caveat is that you have to secure it on the bow with a pin once retrieved, you can't just retract and leave it there. But since having it repaired, it has worked very well and is very strong. I baby it now and if it starts getting bogged down I'll stop and "drive up" more. A few more of us have the same model and maybe they will chime in too. Personally I would not recommend it solely because their service isn't what I expect from a $1,000 windlass. There are probably better ones out there today, don't forget mine is 8 years old. Lewmar has a good name but they're headquartered oversea's (Englad now I think) and there are a lot good American products. BTW, I just noticed they have an American address now in CT. Maybe they listened to their customers. I hope that helps .
Rick
Falmouth, MA
retman
Commander
Commander

Post by retman »

Rick, Thanks for the input. I'm thinking of replacing the Ideal that's on the boat with a automatic one. I don't care about free fall as I'm not anchoring in any more than 20'