Cockpit Bulkhead

Use this forum to discuss all things relating to the Bertram 33 Sportfisher.
Rick
Commodore
Commodore

Cockpit Bulkhead

Post by Rick »

Although my bulkhead(s) are still solid, it's definitely time to think about painting them after this season. I want to keep them smooth and white, I think Frank Price had success using an Acrylic Spray paint (and his jobs are always amazing) but I thought I'd ask if anyone has done something different ? Captain Rick Ticket 85 SF Merc 454 MPI's Falmouth, MA
Rick
Ticket 85 SF Merc 454 MPI's USCG 50T Masters w/ Towing Endorsement
Falmouth, MA
IRGuy
Commodore
Commodore

Post by IRGuy »

Several years ago I prepped my boat and then had it professionally painted. We used Awl Kraft 2000. Now, whenever I make a repair or add or change to anything on the exterior of the boat I don't need to get involved with gel coat color matching, I just slap a coat of Awl Grip 454 primer on it and then spray on the Awl Kraft 2000. Easy to use and the colors match perfectly.
Frank B - IRGuy@aol.com "Phoenix" 1983 FBC Cummins 6Bs - 315HP Wilmington, NC
captxmas62
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by captxmas62 »

Rick, I have nothing notable to add, but will be watching this feed intently because I also need to look into this. I have had a few ideas about a 2-part epoxy coating (Interlux). I did the Transom on my old 28' with it and it worked beautifully with a Roll and brush technique. 2 people are needed. If you find anything better, please share. Thanks, Jim
Capt. James R Noel USCG 100T Master 1989 33' Sportfish Branford, CT
Rick
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Rick »

Thanks guys....sounds interesting Frank ! I have plenty of time to think about it but love Frank's idea Captain Rick Ticket 85 SF Merc 454 MPI's Falmouth, MA
Rick
Falmouth, MA
franklyprice
Commodore
Commodore

Post by franklyprice »

I'll add one thing. On the rear bulkhead that we're discussing here, I used flattener in the paint to match (somewhat) the gloss of the surrounding gel coat. Today's urethanes are so glossy that they look out of place on smaller areas like that unless you can sand and polish to remove defects (the inevitable dirt nibs and texture) and I'm not super interested in sanding and polishing my rear bulkhead. The idea , I think, is to make it match the rest of the boat and not make a loud statement with one part of it.
Frank Price
1987 SF "Jeanne Claire"
Rowley Ma
lobsta1
Commodore
Commodore

Post by lobsta1 »

Rick, Take a quick run up here & we'll do both boats together. Al
1978 33 FBC NITES OFF
Rick
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Rick »

Sounds good Al ! Captain Rick Ticket 85 SF Merc 454 MPI's Falmouth, MA
Rick
Falmouth, MA
lobsta1
Commodore
Commodore

Re: Cockpit Bulkhead

Post by lobsta1 »

Rick,
Did you ever do anything on the bulkhead?
Al
1978 33 FBC NITES OFF
Rick
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Rick »

Good timing Captain !

I started cleaning up the boat last week. After I took the cover off the bulkhead was worse than ever, black spots all over it and smudges of mold. Since I was sanding the teak surrounding the windows I figured that I had nothing to lose and threw everything I had at it. Simple green, Soft Scrub and most importantly, Bleach. Rubbed it all in with a kitchen scrubby, rinsed and the bulkhead looks brand spanking new. I had tried getting it out with heavy compound before and it didn't budge and all this time all I had to do was bleach it. Should have known but you live and learn I guess.

Anyway, we're onto waxing. Had the boys down over the weekend and we got a fair amount done...if Saturday was like Sunday we would have finished it.
Rick
Falmouth, MA
lobsta1
Commodore
Commodore

Post by lobsta1 »

Thank You Rick. I also had thrown everything at the bulkhead including a STRONG ammonia solution. Nothing worked until I used bleach & Dirtex. What a difference!
Al
1978 33 FBC NITES OFF
Rick
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Rick »

Glad it helped Capt'n ! It does make a huge difference
Rick
Falmouth, MA