Bilge drains/pass throughs

Use this forum to discuss all things relating to the Bertram 33 Sportfisher.
Capn Tony
Captain
Captain

Post by Capn Tony »

Well I wish I had plugged my limber holes after reading this the other day. Took a friend with me to top off the tank and add stabilizer; he poured ia bottle into the pole holder. It wept from the engine compartment to the bilge below the cabin. Cleaned it the best we could but diesel smell lasts awhile.
Thanks Capn' T Roamin' Beauty 33'Bert SF 3116 Cats Hyannis MA.
h2ojst
Captain
Captain

Post by h2ojst »

At least he wasn't in charge of filling the tank! Could have been much worse.
Joe Tomaini
1988 Sportfish
Attitude Adjustment II
Bath, NC
greysole
Commander
Commander

Post by greysole »

Joe, Yes, the anchor locker will drain into the forward v berth and then into salon bilge. This should be sealed up and a drain drilled through the hull to drain the locker overboard. I did this when I installed a windlass. Additionally, mine has hoses leading to the bilge area of the salon which drain the condensate pan of the ac unit in the forward section of the fly bridge as well as drains any water from the forward fly bridge floor. These would just empty into the bilge. They should be led to the shower sump pump for overboard discharge. Yes, this is fresh water but quickly becomes a smelly stagnant mold producer. Cheers
Gerard FREEDOM 86 SF 454 Merc Green Pond, Falmouth MA
captxmas62
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by captxmas62 »

Hey Guys, Sorry about the long absence from the site...life/work got in the way. Thank you all for the input on my drainage issue. 1) I do have have drainage passages from the main bilge area to the sump between the engines (Center Bilge). However, you really have to get your head and a flashlight under the Fresh water tank to see them. There was a blockage because they are not direct through, there is a Tee section to divert the water into both sump areas on either side of the keel stringer. 2) The water came from both the anchor well and me washing out the bilge and shower sump. Not to mention draining the Fresh water tank and Hot water heater for storage directly into the bilge, thinking it would drain aft. I pitched the boat Bow proud and added a stern drain. All of you with these boats know how difficult it is to set them level and drain properly. 3) There is a very convenient transducer located right next to the deepest part of the bilge that can accommodate a siphon and drain everything pretty dry. So, all that being said, I am now working on cleaning out the tee section of the drains to so I do not have to go through this next year. Thank you all again for the input, have a great holiday and pray for spring!! Jim
Capt. James R Noel USCG 100T Master 1989 33' Sportfish Branford, CT