454 exhaust et up on 35 Bertram

Use this forum to discuss all things relating to Bertram 35s.
Raymond
Ensign
Ensign

454 exhaust et up on 35 Bertram

Post by Raymond »

Hi Thanks for all feedback great help -a couple more questions you might help me with -i have removed the 454 motors and taken the headers of looks like old sewerage pipes as they have all rusted i cant see how they join into one 4 in pipe to go to the muffler there must be a Y section for the header sto combine into
second question - cleaning the inside bilge in-between the motors there is a square box about 12"x 8" looks like two sensor pick ups on top of the box and well above the hull inside any ideas thanks Raymond
mouldrp
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Re: 454 exhaust et up on 35 Bertram

Post by mouldrp »

Raymond,

I just replaced the cast iron elbows on my 454’s with fiberglass ones. I also used silicone hose and “T” clamps.

In my configuration I had a 4” 90 deg. elbow and a 4”x4”x5” Y on the engine going into a 5” 45 deg. elbow to the 5” hose through the bulkhead to the muffler.

The “Y” had to be fabricated (not commercially available) from a 4” 90 deg. elbow and a short section of 5” straight fiberglass pipe. My brother, who has a yacht repair business, made it for me in about half an hour.

Don’t know anything about the 12x8” box, other than maybe for transducers.
Richard Mould 1988 FBC - Sheer Folly Greenwich, CT
h2ojst
Captain
Captain

Post by h2ojst »

Instead of fabricating the "Y's" I used fiberglass "T's" which were available in the correct sizing (4x4x5) and they have been working perfectly for the past 16 years.
Joe Tomaini
1988 Sportfish
Attitude Adjustment II
Bath, NC
Raymond
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Raymond »

thanks for your reply gentlemen - great help the box i think is for the transponders but why would they not go through the hull-can-i send you a photo may help your answer thanks once again - Raymond