35' Cutlass Replacements

Use this forum to discuss all things relating to Bertram 35s.
HRay
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

35' Cutlass Replacements

Post by HRay »

3208T 1.5" shafts. Any insight if you have replaced the upper bearing without removing the shafts? Suppose the thought is to first remove the lower then the upper then slide the upper thru the lower housing? first time so looking for the pros and cons. Thanks Hector
'84 35 MKII 3208T CHAOS-Newburyport, MA
asher
Commander
Commander

Post by asher »

If I understand you correctly it sounds like you have two struts per shaft. My 35 only has one per shaft with 1.5� shafts. Replaced cutless bearings with shaft still in place. Had no problems other than the hydraulic jack blowing a seal in the middle of the second bearing. I would imagine it would probably be easier to remove old cutless bearings first. Then, pull the shafts part way remove and then slide the new cutless bearings in place. Reinstall the shaft, then install the new bearings. I would use the whole job as an excuse to pull the shafts, have then polished and checked for straightness. As well as sending the props off to be reconditioned.
dougl33
Admiral
Admiral

Post by dougl33 »

Hector, Nothing to add to the topic, but when are you going in?
Regards, Doug L.
1986 33 Bertram FBC Cummins 6BTA's Queen Elizabeth
Marblehead, MA
HRay
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by HRay »

Hey Doug excuse delay.. crazy busy little late getting my hit list wrapped up. She's ready -- This Friday 8am tide. Thinkin about Danversport 6/30 for the ''86 Rock of Ages on Friday 6/30 then to Ptown next day through the 4th. You going?
'84 35 MKII 3208T CHAOS-Newburyport, MA
dougl33
Admiral
Admiral

Post by dougl33 »

Probably not going to make it. We have a lot of friends and family that come into town for the week of the 4th so we'll be straight out. I went in 2 Friday's ago (5/26). Still cleaning up and prepping for the season. Good luck with the launch.
Regards, Doug L.
1986 33 Bertram FBC Cummins 6BTA's Queen Elizabeth
Marblehead, MA