35 Rudder

Use this forum to discuss all things relating to Bertram 35s.
tds8268
Ensign
Ensign

35 Rudder

Post by tds8268 »

Kinda in a pinch. Does anyone in the mid Atlantic area have a rudder off a 35 Bertram they'd be willing to sell? I know about Hightide but with the hurricane I doubt I'll be able to reach them quickly. Thanks for any help Dan 443-397-0315
JohnD
Captain
Captain

Post by JohnD »

try miller's island prop; back when I repowered they made me a strut, they may be able to help www.millersislandprop.com
John D "Lady D" B35 "Jabba Jaws" B20 Pasadena MD
IRGuy
Commodore
Commodore

Post by IRGuy »

My B33 has rudders that were made in a welding shop long before I bought the boat. They are simple rectangles mounted on a shaft. Their area is probably at least twice the area of the original curved rudders, maybe more. If you are interested I might be able to find a sketch I did for another member here who wanted to make his own a couple of years ago. Being so much larger than the originals they are much more efficient. After wrapping a chicken wire crab pot around my port rudder I had to run the boat about 6 miles to the boatyard on only the stbd side. It was no problem running on only one engine... even in a crowded mooring field I was able to control the boat almost as well as with two. The common complaint I hear from Bertram owners is the lack of control when running on one engine. This design essentially eliminates that problem.
Frank B - IRGuy@aol.com "Phoenix" 1983 FBC Cummins 6Bs - 315HP Wilmington, NC
Yardpro
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Yardpro »

try these guys out. they are the manufacturer, but many places are dealers and can get you one that will work. https://www.hydrasearchrecreational.com/ the manufacturer is buck Algonquin. they mane MANY different rudders that will surely fit. the crucial dimensions are the shaft length and diameter, and what configuration the top is where the arm mounts.
Aquaman
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Aquaman »

Frank B I would be interested in a sketch of your oversized rudders if you find it. My email is jjdj313@aol.com John J
Chum Bucket
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Chum Bucket »

Kevin D "Chum Bucket" 1979 Sportfish 3208T 320hp Cats
eyecatcher
Ensign
Ensign

Post by eyecatcher »

what kind of toe rudder alignment are you guys running?
franklyprice
Commodore
Commodore

Post by franklyprice »

On the 33s Bertram recommends no toe in or out, just straight. Not sure about the 35.
Frank Price
1987 SF "Jeanne Claire"
Rowley Ma
eyecatcher
Ensign
Ensign

Post by eyecatcher »

I talked to Bertram they said 1/2 inch in
franklyprice
Commodore
Commodore

Post by franklyprice »

How would the current Bertram company know anything about the older boats? The info I'm using comes from my original owners manual, though, I'm sure 1/2" in would work fine.
Frank Price
1987 SF "Jeanne Claire"
Rowley Ma